What's new
What's new

1936-15" x 5' Questions

skeller

Plastic
This is my first lathe purchase. (well technically 2nd, I got an Atlas/Clausing 4800 in great shape the same week that I don't have leveled and running yet.)

I picked up a 1937 - 15" x 5', Catalog #: 114B for a very reasonable price. It was under power when I looked at it. It runs quite, no gears are damaged. It is 3ph so I have to get a VFD to run in my garage. It is an under mount motor but is not a factory base. Might be original motor, not sure.

Photos here: Photo Index - South Bend Lathe Works - 15"x5' Cat No: #114B | VintageMachinery.org

The biggest issue I think is bed wear. The ways are worn. Using a straight edge clamped on the right side of the front way. On the side facing the operator, it was about .015" and the back side was about .010". There is some scoring. The back way is less than .010" on both sides.

Is it even worth the work to clean up an use?

What kind of wear is normal for an 80 year old lathe?

Thanks so much for the help. I have already learned much from this forum.

Steve is that you?

It is hard to say from what you describe, that wear may not be a big issue for general turning. Once the machine is cleaned up, lubed, and dialed in, you might find it produces very acceptable results. I realize the bed wear is not ideal, or acceptable to some people. But having run more than one clapped out machine in my career, I know it isn't the end of the world either. I think you should get it running and see what how things look. Is this the machine that was in Palatine?

Marc

It is you.. I should have looked at your link before I posted.. (went to edit, and it wouldn't let me?)

So that is the machine in Palatine. What is your time frame on getting it going? Let me know if you need a hand.

Marc

Steve is that you?
Marc

Yep, it's me. :) I was looking for your card. I was going to contact you. I wanted to thank you for the advice you gave me when we met.

I am not in a huge hurry. I have the Atlas/Clausing 4800 that I am going to get going first. I am hoping to get my quick change chuck and tooling next week.

@johnoder - There doesn't seem to be too many 15" around. I don't think I have seen any similar units online. It seems that this is towards the end of the 15" line.

@kitno455 - yes that is a disappointment about the legs. I have wondered if it was the same legs as the 16" from the same era.

-steve

Well, I finally got around to making some chips with this 80-year-old girl.
I am not sure yet what to think. (I don't know enough yet to know what I don't know.)
I turned down a bar about 5 inches long. (starting diameter was 1.5") No tail stock used.
I took about 3 .002" finishing cuts at the end.

Here are the results, 0 measurement is closest to the chuck, 5" is approximately 5" from the chuck.
0" - .9750"
1" - .9766"
2" - .9775"
3" - .9790"
4" - .9804"
5" - .9812"

Give or take a little since I am using only a cheap micrometer.

I know the bed is worn because I can't run the table all the way down to the end. (it's only a 5' bed.)

I would think closer to the chuck would have the worst wear and drop the tool further away making the diameter larger, but that isn't the case.
I have not fully leveled the machine yet. Is there anything else I can look at to adjust?

Is there another test I should be doing to check the accuracy?

Back