What's new
What's new

1937 9" Workshop lathe compound

Skip in WV

Plastic
I want to replace some parts, but I can't get it apart. I removed the rotation locking bolt. There appears to be a cylindrical piece under it. How can it get it out? And, there 8s a hole in the back tha may also have something in it. None of them have a screwdriver slot or allen head.

Assuming you have a model 5 type(405,415...) with the single locking bolt...

Once the bolt is out, there is a shoe under it, squirt some good penetrant in there and use a hair dryer or similar to warm the cross slide to help it wick in..then it's just careful working it around and gentle tapping...it helps to remove the cross slide and place it up side down on a couple supporting blocks and tap directly on the compound spud underneath, give it a couple taps,swivel compound,tap,swivel..tap,swivel..

You don't want to keep tapping with the compound in the same location or the shoe can dig in and ding up the compound spud....

Do a google image search for south bend 9" compound to see the spud shape and you will understand how the shoe bears on it...the shoe is just a round pin cut on the end to a shape that mates with that spud.

Thanks. I figured it out. A set screw on the end, some penetrating oil. Once I'd moved a little I was able to get under it and force it up and out.

Back