What's new
What's new

1941 SB 10R motor

tommyv

Plastic
I was wondering about the motors that South Bend were putting in the the 10" lathes in the 40's. Mine recently popped with a puff of smoke. After, it would hum but not start. My first reaction was the start cap and I was correct, to a point. I went into the motor deeper and found that one of the contact point had blown off the switch. The guy at the electric motor repair said they don't make that switch anymore and I could either find one, "if lucky" or buy a new motor.
The motor in question is a Century 1/2 hp single phase 1750 rpm. The repair guy said he'd never seen such a big frame for a 1/2 hp motor and I'd half to agree.
Is there any place that specializes in electrical components for these old motors and secondly is Century a common brad for SB to have used or is this believed to be a replacement. There seems to be no mods made to the motor mounting plate, only the set of hole it was bolted to.
Thank You!

What is the shaft size?

shaft size will tell me the frame size and then I can recommend a replacement if that's what you want.

Last edited:
just solder on a new contact. if you've got time on your hands check the dumpster of an hvac service company.. i routinely find perfectly good 30 amp relays with 1/4" diameter silver contacts, usually its just one pole that burns up out of 2 of them.

I just seen a 1/2 hp motor in south bend parts with all the wiring and switches for 200 bucks. I guess someone switched to vfd.

Your original is probably a 66 frame, which has a larger shaft than more recent motors (generally 48 or 56 frame). Your motor mount plate is also probably not drilled for the smaller foot size. I'd try to fix your existing switch.

allan

Let us know your output shaft size. I have a bunch of motors in my way I'd be happy to send you one if you pay shipping.

just solder on a new contact. if you've got time on your hands check the dumpster of an hvac service company.. i routinely find perfectly good 30 amp relays with 1/4" diameter silver contacts, usually its just one pole that burns up out of 2 of them.

That is an excellent idea. There is soder where there used to be a contact but I wasn't sure if it would work. I mean I can get a replacement but I'd hate to spend that kind of money if I fix it at home. and yes, it is just the one pole. Thank You!

I want to thank everyone for their input, thoughts and generous offers. I really do appreciate it Thank You!

Back