What's new
What's new

1942 10L, No Spindle Oil Drain Plug?

inchpincher

Plastic
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker (can't find an intro thread btw), I signed up when I impulse bought a slightly clunky SB heavy 10" which has sat in my workshop for a couple of years until I got the 3 phase sorted. So now the questions begin!

I've bought the correct oils and was glad to see the cups on the spindle still had remnants of previous top ups, but there's no visible spindle drain plug?

The apron was unfortunately dry so I've flushed with kerosene and filled with correct grade, all other oil feeders have been primed. It runs surprisingly quiet and smooth (I'll upload a YouTube video soon), will I be ok to run as is for a while so I can knock out a few small projects that have accumulated or should I do a more thorough inspection of the spindle etc?

Pictures and videos to follow!

Thanks,

Ben

There are no drain plugs for the spindle oil, other than removing the gits oilers on the front of the headstock.

The spindle is lubricated by a wick, one end of which is immersed in a reservoir of spindle oil, the other end impinges on the spindle, through spring force. The problem is that it's difficult to know the condition of those wicks without removing the spindle.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I actually bought the 'Guide To Renovating the SBL...' and a full set of replacement wicks but haven't had the time to strip the machine yet. I won't run it hard until I can get a better handle on its condition.

Back