What's new
What's new

1942 south bend motor pulley

troy4595

Plastic
Can some one steer me in the right direction as to what size pulley to buy for my lathe. I'm going to buy a 220 volt single phase motor. Thanks

What model SB? If it's a 13" I'd be happy to measure mine for you. It's a two groove 4l (1/2") pulley, but I don't know the size off the top of my head.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Many questions you need to answer. What size is the driven pulley? Speed of the motor. What is the top end speed(RPM) that the lathe is rated for? If you have 220 volts maybe a 3 phase motor with a VFD would serve you better. Used 3 phase motors are a dime a dozen from surplus stores. VFD not so expensive any more. Since we don't have any idea what machine you have it is hard to suggest an appropriate combination.

I have a 1941 SB catalog, #50-B that lists what appears to be their complete line of 9" lathes at that time. None of them have any numbers like 117E. They have model numbers like A, B, and C with variations of each model. It lists about 25 motors for them and they all are rated at about 1750 RPM. This catalog does not list any larger SB lathes.

it's a 117e

Do the math. Look up the South Bend factory spindle RPM for your particular lathe. Work backward through the cone pulley ratio to get the counter shaft RPM. Measure the counter shaft input pulley and from that calculate the motor pulley diameter from the motor RPM.

You may have a two step counter shaft input pulley. Pick one. I don;t know of anyone who regularly shifts the motor drive belt so a single speeed motor pulley will most likely do you.

Please let us know what model your lathe is. At least the swing size and a picture. I have some original documentation from 1969 that might help you. PM me if I don't get back to you.
2c8dbe815c59ee7af579c827d304a425.jpg

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

The 117E is a 16" lathe with an 8 foot bed, 4 step cone pulley.

As indicated by the posts above, there are quite a few combinations and choices. I believe the original motor would have had a frame number of 204 or 224. I think a modern equivalent is a NEMA 184T. I may be wrong about that, I am going on memory and am not very sharp with electric motor frame numbers. If you wish to match the original speed range of this lathe you will need to run the countershaft at 274 RPM. If you have a 12 in pulley on the countershaft, a 1750 RPM motor will need a sheave of 1 7/8 diameter, a motor that runs at 1150 rpm will need a sheave of 2 7/8 dia. I believe the original motor would have had a 1 1/8 in shaft. Either sheave will be very difficult (impossible?) to find with a 1 1/8 shaft and four 1/2" A-section grooves.

I mention a 12" dia countershaft pulley because my 1946 16 has that size pulley, along with a 3.25 dia sheave on the original, 1150 RPM motor. My machine has a higher speed range than yours though, and if yours is a cast iron spindle bearing machine, I might keep the max speed at or under 800 RPM. My 1942 copy of How To Run A Lathe lists the top speed at 725 RPM. I have no personal experience with cast iron spindle bearings, maybe someone else can give a suggestion on a safe speed range for your machine.

If you can measure your countershaft pulley we can probably give you better answers.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Last edited:

Back