What's new
What's new

3/16" taper per foot gib stock - where to buy? (if at all)

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
Hi all,

Looking for the above. Anybody know where to buy suitable SB compatible gib stock ... or does it cost the earth and you should really not bother buying .... :-)

All help appreciated.

Greg.

PS. I'm in Oz, but US sellers no problem..

Is the current gib missing? What is the gib for? I might have an NOS, unfitted 10L cross slide gib around. Ted probably has something similar.

allan

Apols for late reply - it was a very long day yesterday.

I suspected you might not be able to buy them. Darn eh! :-)

Allan, the gibs are all there - nothing missing, but the old girl (1941 10L) is pretty worn and in need of some love here. I have to keep the gibs on the loose-ish side to be able to use full travel. If I snug up the cross slide gibs in the loose part I'll only get about 1/3 - 1/2 travel.

Same story with the compound gib.

With the NOS gib, it is 'oversize', that is, longer and meant to be cut down? Sometimes the replacement parts take into account some wear in the machine and require some fitting. I've experienced this with NOS SB parts.

I'll ping Ted as well.

Many thanks,

Greg.

Yes, the new gib is slightly longer, but that's not going to fix your problem. You will have to scrape the slide straight again so it does not bind. You can add shimstock to the back of the existing gib.

allan

Adding shims to the backside of your old gib is what I did on by Bridgeport. No problems whatsoever and worth a shot. I think I used aluminum roof flashing...But I forget. It's been a few years.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Once your dovetail surfaces are scraped flat, you can bond a strip of Turcite to the back side of the gib to thicken it up.

The gib will need to be scraped as well.

Back