What's new
What's new

3 jaw chuck

tom kilgore

Plastic
I need to replace the jaws on 3jaw cushman chuck,or they are new jaws available. The model is 5340b, if not what is the best way to regrind or rebore the inside faces of the jaws. I have also noticed that some of the companys say they can rebuild them, anyone used this service before please help TOM :typing:

Tom
Not to rain on your parade but it's usually cheaper to buy a new Bison chuck then have and old one rebuilt. I'm not familiar with the Cushman you have but if it's got 2 piece jaws (master jaw type)the cost of new ones are about $400 and you still have might have wear in the scroll which will effect the accuracy.

Just my $.02
Scott

Tom, just went through this same thing with an old cushman. World wide chucks said the rebuild would outweigh the cost of a new one if it is a smaller chuck. So I inquired about replacment jaws, been over a week and they have'nt replied to any of my follow up e-mails. Grizzly and CDOC tools have nice new ones, but CDOC is cheaper. m71

Tom, I made inquiry quite recently at Worldwide Chuck regarding my Cushman 3506 6" 3 jaw. Cheaper to buy new. BTW, my chuck is in pretty nice shape, simply missing the 2nd jaw set. So I'll keep what I've got & watch Flea Bay. Who knows, maybe one fine day a jaw set will turn up.
Ed

Tom, just went through this same thing with an old cushman. World wide chucks said the rebuild would outweigh the cost of a new one if it is a smaller chuck. So I inquired about replacment jaws, been over a week and they have'nt replied to any of my follow up e-mails. Grizzly and CDOC tools have nice new ones, but CDOC is cheaper. m71
They got back to me yesterday said that no replacement jaws available but they could sell me a new one for $850.00
Has anyone been able to resurface the faces on the jaws, the probelm of mine is someone let a threaded shaft spin in the jaws and sort of threaded the surfaces. any body got any thiughts on how to fix.thanks TOM

Hi Tom, This is kind of a sticky wicket as they say. Most of the time people are trying to fix run out on a worn three jaw chuck and the results are mixed. I have tried it myself on a few occasions and again had mixed results. In your case it may work because your scroll may not be worn and the jaws as you said are just "threaded". The problem with trying to repair a three jaw with a worn scroll is that it may work fine in that one position where you ground the jaws but when you get to another part of the scroll it will have run out again. In your case you might be able to grind the jaws with a toolpost grinder if you have one. Clamp a ring in the jaws to take up slack before you grind or you will cause more harm then good. I had one that was so whacked out I could not do even that. I ended up making a set of soft jaws for it to solve the problem.

Back