What's new
What's new

Threaded-spindle to "anything-else" conversion?

borne2fly

Hot Rolled
Has anyone heard of an adapter that threads onto the spindle and allows the use of non-thread-type chucks, faceplates, etc? Preferably something commonly available. I have an old leblond with that weird 2 1/8 x 5 thread, and not only do I have to thread a new backing plate for every chuck it uses, there are always times when the chuck gets stuck on the threads so tight that I worry about doing damage to remove it.

I have made backing plates from steel plate and cast iron weights
They both work good and only take a few hours to make a backing plate

I can envision a threaded-to-L00 adapter, but then you'll be bemoaning the lack of L00 tooling ;). At least then you won't have quite the same stuck-chuck problems.

Regards.

Finegrain

Heard of someone buying a spare part D1-4(?) spindle from an import lathe as a relatively cheap ($150 ish as I recall, Enco?) way of getting the cam lock nosepiece which he cut off the spindle and fitted to his machine. Possibly for a Weiler. Need to be darn careful to hold the alignment but do-able.

Another way might be to make a permanent fit faceplate with A / D nose taper of whatever size seems good having plain drilled holes at the cam stud positions. Use threaded studs and nuts with a normal camlock fitting back plate on the chuck. Not quite as convenient as the real thing but workable and very secure. Dunno how makable the DIN 55022 bayonet ring version is. Never really looked at one and there don't seem to be dimensioned drawings on the net.

Clive

There are emailable drawings in my collection for both L and D type noses (all sizes) if someone is interested in tackling the large amount of fussy work involved.:)

John Oder

There are emailable drawings in my collection for both L and D type noses (all sizes) if someone is interested in tackling the large amount of fussy work involved.:)

John Oder

John,

One of your prehistoric drawings of an adapter for a 16-1/2" flat back to A-20 nose?:D

I've made a couple of them over the years,

Ken

Last edited:

Back