What's new
What's new

3C collet closer (anyone made?)

SE18

Cast Iron
My 9A needs a collet closer for 3C collets. I know they can be purchased but was wanting to make one to save the hundred something dollars it costs just for the closer and thought someone might have the blueprint and perhaps a writeup or video on how they did it. I did do some google and youtube searches but perhaps used the wrong keywords.

Thanks

Dave

If you are looking for a handwheel closer, Joe at plazamachinery.com sells just the tubes with the threads in them already. You'd have to make / modify a handwheel and add a thrust bearing to it.

129. New tube replacement for 9” south bend. Threaded, better steel than original. Minor machine work to fit your existing draw tube assembly. We could not do the final machining because SB had 2 different ones. This will work for both. Made in USA, $85.00 (solves the worn thread problem)

The heavy 9 has a different size tube than the 9 a/b/c, so this is probably how I'm going to go.

Steve

Dave
I made one many years back can not remember if it was for 3-c or 3at the dimensions are close.
first thing in order is to find dimension of collet threads and make your own tap very easy to do, plus it is a learning experience for later. i used grade 8 bolt to make the tap and then hardened it.
dave if you need any help send a pm with phone # and we can talk batw

I made mine minus the spindle sleeve.
Tube, thrust collar, sleeve and thread protector. Heck I even made the tap for it.
The drawings I made are on Steve Wells site here:

The SBL Workshop - Parts Prints Index

You can also find them on my photobucket page here:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/mcruff/Southbend lathe/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ16

Collettube.jpg

The trickey part is the little pin that goes in the keyway of the collett.I cheated on mine by tapering it before fitting it in the hole.

Dave
I made one many years back can not remember if it was for 3-c or 3at the dimensions are close.
first thing in order is to find dimension of collet threads and make your own tap very easy to do, plus it is a learning experience for later. i used grade 8 bolt to make the tap and then hardened it.
dave if you need any help send a pm with phone # and we can talk batw

I would like to learn how to make a tap from a bolt. I'm thinking I know how to do it, a short description would be helpful. My hand wheel closer has a small ding in the threads and I'd love to clean those up.

Question :
Several mentions of making and using a tap to cut the threads on the collet closer . Why not single point it ?

If you making it new from scratch, that works. But trying to chase existing threads in a narrow tube that are quite fine is a whole different story. Maybe for someone with better eyes than mine :)

Question :
Several mentions of making and using a tap to cut the threads on the collet closer . Why not single point it ?
For me it was about paying for my own closer and the material. The tubing was only available in 8' lengths, I had no use for that much so I made 6 tubes and sold 5 of them.

Dials - no problem. I said have an existing tube with damaged threads. Maybe you are better at matching up existing threads than I am. Trying to match up to a 26 TPI inside the tube is not what I call fun, challenging yes. Fun, no.

Dials - no problem. I said have an existing tube with damaged threads. Maybe you are better at matching up existing threads than I am. Trying to match up to a 26 TPI inside the tube is not what I call fun, challenging yes. Fun, no.

Why not use a new tube and thread it with the dial ? It's only a steel tube, can be gotten pretty cheap. I have one with my 10L with decent threads on it, so I don't need to myself.

You can't just use a standard bolt, as a bolt is undersized for clearance (although I did that once just to clean out some rust in a bolt hole because I didn't have a metric tap).

You need to make one the correct size for the tap, mill the flutes, taper it and harden it.

Steve

Back