What's new
What's new

3d scanning?

spooky

Aluminum
Hey all,

Disclaimer: not totally sb related (only a little bit) But my sb community has helped me in so many ways that it is this group I think to ask first!

I have a small part I'd like to get into cad. It is intricate and has never been blueprinted. Is there reliable ways to scan small parts like this into a digital form compatible with various cad programs these days? If so can you all point me in the right direction?

The parts are turned on my SB lathe currently (they are castings) and I want to get them into cad somehow, mirror them and make a left handed version of the part.

Thanks for any help!
Best,
Chris E.

Thanks Joe,

I did do the google thing prior to posting here. Most everything I found was a kind of kitchie, cheapie process that didn't seem to import to any useful programs (cad or cam)

I am wondering if there is some super high quality process or equipment. Like the kind of thing I couldn't afford myself and would have to pay a company who does this type of work and has made the investment in the equipment. Just like I'd hire a architect to make the blue prints for a complicated house.

Maybe there is no such animal yet?

Thanks all,

CE

Post this in the general forum. What you are wanting to do is being done every day. I am just not sure the who, what, where in your area. FYI there is a guy on Craigslist that advertises this service around here with a high-end 3d scanner. Maybe check your area as well for this.

Chris,
How small is the part? Two of the ways I build 3D models are with a scanner or with a set of photos and a program called Photomodeler. The scanner is a bit iffy on getting intricate details. Photomodeler will work on anything that can be captured in photos. Sometimes it's quicker to just create a model in a CAD program. Check out FreeCAD. Take a few photos of the part with a scale in there and email them to me at [email protected] and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.
-George

Back