What's new
What's new

4 Jaw Chuck Recommendations for a SB 9?

Domodude17

Aluminum
Probably going to pick up a South Bend 9 Model A sometime soon. It comes with a 3 jaw chuck and collet closer/collets. I would definitely want to get a 4 jaw chuck for it. I think I want to stay away from used ones or ones on ebay. I am a novice and wouldn't really know how to tell a good chuck from a bad one. Can anyone recommend a model or brand that won't break the bank? I am just a hobbyist so I don't need the best chuck money can buy. Are there any import models that are of relatively good quality?

Lightweight, thin is better than a 35 pound 4 jaw that sticks out too far and chatters so much you cant do anything without tailstock support.

While a new 4 jaw is nice, there arnt many fundamental reasons why an old one wont be just as good, particularly at the light cuts you can take with a sb 9.

Probably going to pick up a South Bend 9 Model A sometime soon. It comes with a 3 jaw chuck and collet closer/collets. I would definitely want to get a 4 jaw chuck for it. I think I want to stay away from used ones or ones on ebay. I am a novice and wouldn't really know how to tell a good chuck from a bad one. Can anyone recommend a model or brand that won't break the bank? I am just a hobbyist so I don't need the best chuck money can buy. Are there any import models that are of relatively good quality?

Vertex. Nominally Taiwan, CNC goods may mostly still be. Known to also have a factory in PRC as well. Still value for money until you need better.

4J are "forgiving" of build accuracy. A SB 9 doesn't make enough stress or run at high enough RPM to harm these. You can buy better, later, if need be.

Correct to avoid used ones. Bell-mouthed, most, side-wobble as well, worn screws and retainers. even cracked or sprung bodies from crashes.

Besides.. we OF's have gotten most of the good ones already, years ago, and are not selling ours!

:D

BTW 3-J ToS Svitavy, Czech. 6-J, I like my Feurda-Gator. 10EE needs high-RPM ratings.

Not that I'd EVER let a 3-J even sneak under MY door, but a 3-J or 6-J scroll operated has to be "more right" than a 4-J to be useful to those who might do. Some form of Adjust-Tru essential as well.

I have a Bison 4 jaw that I got back before they got so expensive - it's real good but these days it doesn't meet your standard for inexpensive. A good quality chuck for not too much money these days is made by Shars. At least that's MHO. Check out their website. Home page

I have a Bison 4 jaw that I got back before they got so expensive - it's real good but these days it doesn't meet your standard for inexpensive. A good quality chuck for not too much money these days is made by Shars. At least that's MHO. Check out their website. Home page

Or Made FOR Shars?

Shars packed & branded is also found on goods sold by others. Shars do a decent job of making sure that the mostly Chinese stuff they carry is the better not the bitter. No bad experiences so far, D1-3 backplates and more.

I like the prices from H&H Industrial even better, also not bad as to goods they chose to carry. CDC is another, though I've found H&H a better deal as to QC.

2CW

I wouldn't have any problem with a used 4-jaw as long as the jaws were tight. A 4-jaw is a lot less critical than a 3-jaw since each jaw moves independently.

If you want a new chuck, maybe a Gator would do what you want. I've bought some and they have been decent chucks.

I wouldn't have any problem with a used 4-jaw as long as the jaws were tight.
Welll that's the point, Bob. Those that were tight have been grabbed up.
I had bought five or six, each from the most tedious blow-up of photos and being willing to pay a modest price premium, to get one good one. And it wasn't like new. All that in 6" alone.

Only virgin unicorn found in about five years of searching was the last of two Yuasa 150 mm 4-J still in protective coating that a breaker had acquired with the liquidation of a broad-line mill supply house. Any of those goes tits-up these days, they'd have had Chinese goods on-shelf, anyway.
If you want a new chuck, maybe a Gator would do what you want. I've bought some and they have been decent chucks.

Seconded.

I'd call their forged-steel body, steel backplate, ones better than Bison has been for several years now. Former Bison guy with something of a hard-on for his old firm's sins seems to have pushed that with direct intent.

Glad we still have Feurda and ToS.

Back