What's new
What's new

405-Y Apron Needed

DangerDog

Plastic
Hey All,

New member, first post.

Recently got my hands on a 405-Y 9" lathe with a 3 ft. bed that I've been bringing back to life.

Most everything on this little dude is in GREAT condition. Minimal wear on the ways or hardly any other damage, and after a LOT of rust & gunk removal, it's already moving REALLY smooth! Such a cool little machine!

So, the one damaged part is the apron, which is broken. According to the serial card I got, the lathe is a 405-Y, (it does have the "see-through" tailstock & left hand longitudinal autofeed screw as well,) originally sold in 1935, and the apron & saddle listed are "9."

I noticed the Model C lathe that came later, looks fairly similar, but based on the pictures I've seen of a couple aprons for sale on eBay, the apron looks to be wider and has an additional gusset on the back side that isn't present on mine, between the autofeed handle and the longitudinal hand crank.

Anyway, without my calipers handy since they're at work, the center to center distance on the mounting screws that attach it to the saddle appears to be very close to 7.000". Overall width of the whole apron is in the neighborhood of 9-3/16".

Need some help looking in the right place to see if I have a chance at finding a replacement for this little gem. If all else fails, I know a really good welder, lol! Just afraid of welding on a cast piece & chancing totally ruining it, (not that it isn't completely broken already... :))

If y'all could throw your advice in the ring I'd really appreciate it!

Attachments

• 20170304_162612.jpg
    20170304_162612.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20170304_162659.jpg
    20170304_162659.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
epoxy alone may be strong enough.

if not, it looks like you have enough material to bolt through the thickness, hiding the head of the bolt under the mating surface on the carriage.

Hello,
I happen to have one. It's been laying under my bench for a couple of years. I have a 405-Y. After I had it for a while I thought it would be nice to change it to a Model A. DON'T DO IT!! The only thing left original is the tailstock and the bed. I won't bore you with the gory details.
Anyway the apron is in fine shape complete with split nuts (BTW) they are Left Hand thread if you don't already know. It's ready to bolt on.
Make me a reasonable offer with shipping and it's yours. email me at [email protected].

Hello,
I happen to have one. It's been laying under my bench for a couple of years. I have a 405-Y. After I had it for a while I thought it would be nice to change it to a Model A. DON'T DO IT!! The only thing left original is the tailstock and the bed. I won't bore you with the gory details.
Anyway the apron is in fine shape complete with split nuts (BTW) they are Left Hand thread if you don't already know. It's ready to bolt on.
Make me a reasonable offer with shipping and it's yours. email me at [email protected].

Sending an email from my gmail account right now. :thumbup

(I have a line from a seller on eBay currently selling some mating 405-Z parts. Assuming the apron is the same, but not sure if he actually has the apron itself since it wasn't for sale on eBay & he's only selling the saddle.)

So it looks like electbob has me covered! He sent me pics of what appears to be an almost identical apron, with the exception of mine not having the hole / set screw for a thread dial or having an additional oiler on top of the hand crank.

So I received my new apron today from electbob. SOLID dude for sure! Good communication, smooth transaction, and the item that showed up was very well packed and exactly as described.

Thanks so much dude for getting this out to me as promised and to everyone else here for the input!!! :D

You lucked out! I'm parting out a 415-Y due to a broken in half apron. I could never find the right one plus the spindle and bearings are shot. Your apron looks very fixable mine is not.

You lucked out! I'm parting out a 415-Y due to a broken in half apron. I could never find the right one plus the spindle and bearings are shot. Your apron looks very fixable mine is not.

If my welder can successfully TIG it back together with the plate I machined to align the two pieces using the good mounting hole and the set screw hole that retains the autofeed lever, I may elect to run the original since all of the parts attaching to it are worn to it. If it seems to be running smoothly, I'd be willing to part with the replacement.

I'd offer it up to you, but sounds like you're already on the way to parting it out. Bummer man. Even though it doesn't have all the goodies on it like quick change gears and whatnot, it's still such a cool little machine. :D

Thanks, I would not be parting it out except for the badly scored spindle on top of the apron being busted. It came with the original 3' bed and a 54" bed too. I still have everything except the cone pully. I seem to aquire things much faster than I get rid of them :nutter:.

Back