What's new
What's new

5C collet chuck

Shad

Plastic
Anyone here have any experience with a 5C collet chuck on a SB 9" model 'A' lathe? I'm looking to maybe purchase one soon, as the 3C set-up I have now only goes up to 1/2". I already have a full set of 5C collets and would like to be able to use them on my SB lathe. Any thoughts on where to purchase, size (4" dia. vs 5"), accuracy, and what's a "reasonable" cost would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Shad

I have a Zag'r 5C lever closer, with plain back, that's destined for the door. You'd have to make a mounting plate for it. Here's a pic or two... if you're interested. I ended up getting a Hardinge thread-on locally, which better suited my needs.

Chip
(photo credit to previous owner...)
View attachment 73384View attachment 73385View attachment 73387

Attachments

• Picture 815.jpg
    Picture 815.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 466
  • Picture 816.jpg
    Picture 816.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 488
  • Picture 817.jpg
    Picture 817.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 443
  • Picture 818.jpg
    Picture 818.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 663
I am looking for the scroll type collet chuck. So Fredz, if you want Chip C's, go ahead. I am just interested in recommendations on brands, and particularly where to buy, a decent scroll type collet chuck. Thanks again, and thanks for the offer Chip!

Shad;

I have a 9" Workshop Model A and have been using a Bison 5" collet chuck on it for a couple of years. One thing that is nice about a collet chuck is that because of the tapered nose you can machine pretty close to the chuck itself without worrying about making hamburger out your knuckles. I bought mine already mounted to a back plate. At the time I purchased it the best price was at KBC (Canada) but let your mouse be your guide there. The chuck is well made, balanced, has a grease nipple on the front. Certainly has met all of my expectations.

Cheers, Erik

How about this. You can make it from a kit from MLA.
Mine is on a 10K
Metal Lathe
Just takes a little time to build it. If you have the time.
Mine has plenty of use over the past 1.5 years. Accuracy is as good as my collets. Holder was made on the lathe.

MLA_Loop_Collet_Chuck_zpsa743a72b.jpg

Hi Chip, I too am going to pass on the collet holder. I just got an e-mail from a guy here in Mich. and he has a closer left over from a lathe he had years ago. He said I can have it for fifty bucks and I just can't pass it up. Thank you for getting back with me. Fred

So far I've found several, ranging in price from under $200 to over $600 (without adapter plate). Judging from some reviews I found, and a little common sense ("you get what you pay for"), I'm leaning towards the Bison brand, as their quality seems to be much better. Grizzly has one for $525 with the adapter already mounted and ready to go. I did read a review on the Bison 4" dia. chuck, but they seem more expensive than the 5" models (?). Just thought the 4" would save weight, and thus wear and tear on the spindle. Not sure it's worth the extra money though. I will have to check out that MLA "kit" chuck as a possibility.
Thanks again guys for the input.

Back