What's new
What's new

9" Before and After Pics

Padrig

Plastic
Hi

Here is a pic of my 9” SouthBend, before and after. I just finished cleaning it up. I got it earlier this year from a relative of mine. I needed some wheels to make a couple of belt grinders and I thought that if I learned how to use the lathe, I could turn the wheels myself.

I haven’t actually done anything with the lathe yet. I had spent the better part of the last 30 years in a garage and saw little work during that time. The first thing I understood by reading all I could find as well as the online forums and such is that they are great little machines that will outlast their owners IF they are taken care of and kept cleaned and well lubricated. So here is the lathe, 3 toothbrushes, 1 gallon of degreaser, 50 rags and I don’t know how many hours later.

I also figured AFTER I bought a 53.5” automotive flat belt and reassembled the lathe with the belt on that the previous owner had shortened something because the belt needed is now more like 43-44”. 

And I almost forgot. The bolt on the bench in the pic of the gears, I still have not figured out where it goes? And the apron oil reservoir gasket was destroyed. I haven’t filled it with oil yet to see if I need to find a new one.

lathe_dirty.jpg

lathe_clean.jpg
lathe_clean1.jpg
lathe_clean2.jpg

Thanks for looking

Pad

The bolt looks like it goes in the right side of the back gear eccentric. Right behind where your motor tension arm bolts to the lathe...Bob

Hi Pad,

Nice job! Cudo's from one who has been-there-done-that.

I think Bob is right. It looks like the bolt that should have been with the brass shoe and spring that goes in the right-hand (when facing the lathe) casting boss for the backgear eccentric.

The picture you posted earlier of "exra parts" showed a plug screw with those parts. Early bench models used a plug screw. Later ones used a bolt. Judging from the reversing lever on the headstock, you have a later model bench lathe.

The only other idea I have is, that it is one of the bolts that holds the gib onto the rear of the saddle. There should be three bolts back there.

Oh, BTW, get that end gear cover back on there. The lathe looks naked without it. I guess you are still cleaning it.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I'll make a deal with you. I'll trade the belt grinder of your dreams for the lathe. Then, you you won't have to learn how to use it. ;)

Just kiddin' of course. :)

Wow! That's a beauty! I dream of someday locating a cherry South Bend like that. I'll probably never use it; just put it on the coffee table and admire it. :)

Enjoy that lathe!

Best regards,

Orrin

Thanks for the compliments. Of course, I can't take credit, I only did the cleaning. That's beautiful little machine.

Bob and Webb, you are right, it does go in the right side of the back gear eccentric. I had a set screw there. Now I need to find a place for the set screw. lol. Should be easier though.

And Webb, I will put the cover on and get some more pics if you guys want to see them.

Orrin, that's funny. When I first got the lathe, I might have thought that was a good deal but now I am attached to the little darling. ;) Though I am not sure my wife loves it as much so I'll skip the coffee table idea.

Thanks again.

Pad

Padrig,

Welcome to the forum
That is indeed a beauty. You wouldn't be the first to add a piece of artwork to the livingroom
See here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000037

I've got an older SB9 (without the quick change gears)(still trying to figure out it's age, too) and have really been admiring machines like yours. Something else I've come to like, too, is the quick acting engaging lever to tension the drive belt. Mine has a screw mounted in the base plate that I turn with a long key wrench to tension. (pain in the butt)

Anyhow, lovely machine! Best of luck with it.

Mark

really nice lathe, cleaned up real nice. I picked up a 1948 model C that was never used a month ago the paint didn't hold up like yours but taking the first cut on it was sweet. If you want to know the year call Rose at 574 289 7781 and tell her the serial # and she'll tell you the year of delivery, she used to work for SB and has a list of machines . Good cuttin steve

VERY NICE! The paint is in amazing shape. You have every right to be proud of that beauty!

So that is what mine should look like!!! I just got my 9" last week from a plant my son works at, his superviser told him to get it out of the plant. (AND WE DID) I got it for free.

Chevy, I showed your pic to my wife and she said "That's prety" but in a tone that meant "Dont even think of trying that in MY house". ;)

Thanks again for the compliments.

Pad

Chevy, I showed your pic to my wife and she said "That's prety" but in a tone that meant "Dont even think of trying that in MY house".
Oh well, difference is what makes the world go 'round

There's a thread on here (sorry I forget the gentlmean's name) about he *and* his wife setting up his little shop in the living room of a converted barn
a very novel idea

Back