What's new
What's new

? on 9" Cross-Slide and Compound Retaining Nuts

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
My compound screw has been "binding" a bit, and I'm trying to ascertain the cause (new nuts in both compound and cross slide). In the rebuild manual, it says to be sure the retaining nuts are tight- but when I tighten them, they both about lock up becoming very difficult to turn.

Backlash isn't bad (about five to seven) but it seems to be the dial/handle/collar on the compound aren't spinning freely against each other as machined surfaces should- other words, it'll bind for half a turn, spin free for the other half, bind, spin free...The cross slide isn't bad like this, as long as I loosen the retaining nut slightly.

Seems these shouldn't be "tight", but rather set to where the the handles/dials spin freely while keeping backlash to a minimum? Tightening them down just seems to tighten the handle, dial, and collar together to where they won't spin independently.

What's the correct means of adjusting these for free movement and minimal backlash?

First loosen the gibs on both the slides and see if the pressure is relived. if so the nuts are either out of center or the gibs are worn badly. shifting the nuts out of center. Have you you have the screws out to check for damage/bent parts? That's advisable as a starting point.

Steve

Back