What's new
What's new

9" gap bed on CL

arc

Aluminum
There's a 9" gap bed for sale on Decatur IL C List. Sorry but I don't know how to post links...but some nice pics of a seldom seen model.

There's a 9" gap bed for sale on Decatur IL C List. Sorry but I don't know how to post links...but some nice pics of a seldom seen model.

Just insert the link into the text... A 9" with a gap is an interesting combo. What is the swing in the gap?

dee
;-D

He says it is 13" over the gap....tried copy and paste, and inserting but says invalid file.

Last edited:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/gap%20bed.htmlHe says it is 13" over the gap....tried copy and paste, and inserting but says invalid file.

that is probably one of the images on your computer....

You need to go to CL find the listing and insert the URL from your browser search bar. I went to the Decatur IL Craig list and could not find the listing.

dee
;-D

Edit...

Here is the link

https://decatur.craigslist.org/tls/5006725306.html

Looks like somebody scraped the bed, hope they knew what they were doing :). Looks nice though.

The gap is actually in place.
If you look closely you can see it,it's about 4" or so wide.
Look for the hint of daylight inside of bed, then follow it across the ways and you will see the joint.

that is probably one of the images on your computer....

You need to go to CL find the listing and insert the URL from your browser search bar. I went to the Decatur IL Craig list and could not find the listing.

dee
;-D

Edit...

Here is the link

https://decatur.craigslist.org/tls/5006725306.html

Looks like somebody scraped the bed, hope they knew what they were doing :). Looks nice though.
Thank you for linking this dee:)

The scraping is very visible by the headstock and less so for the length of the useable bed. I think that is the original, factory scraping.

Vlad

I guess lathes must be dirt cheap around you.
Actually, they're not - they're few and far between. But I don't live within three hours of Indianapolis. I'm not sure how much more utility the gap bed adds; trying to remove any meaningful amount of material off a 13" dia. workpiece on a 9" SB may be an exercise in futility. And the tooling is nothing to write home about - a rusty three and four jaw, a drill chuck, a rocker tool post with one holder and a dead center. Pretty much the usual bucketful of detritus that comes with just about any used lathe. The one thing that it does have going for it, is the v-belt pulley headstock.

And the 10k that you're selling, regardless of what may be the original factory cabinet, is still a horizontal drive. Like the 9", it's biggest selling point is the v-belt headstock. The chuck without jaws, drill chuck, live center, and rocker tool post don't constitute much in the way of tooling for $1849.

Unless the small SBL market has exploded over the past few months, I think you're being overly optimistic. I'll be delighted and astonished if you actually get your prices, as I've got a small SBL to sell in the upcoming months.

Back