What's new
What's new

9" horizontal drive-need some advice

mjr6550

Aluminum
My restoration is progressing slowly. Most parts are painted, so assembly is not far off. I have just turned my attention to the horizontal drive. I removed the shaft and found that it is badly scored. The bearings (cast iron-not bronze) are scored pretty deep on one side also. I question whether there is enough material to bore out the casting to add a bushing or bronze bearings. I also do not have a working lathe to do this. I thought about turning down the ends and making slightly oversized sleeves. Any suggestions, other than buying a new drive unit.

Regarding the shaft, I assume making a new shaft from 0.875 material would be the way to go. If I went with the sleeve idea I could assemble the lathe with the old shaft, lube it well, and use it just to make the new parts.

With a new shaft I also would need to make a hole for the taper pin. I would appreciate any suggestions for this also. From what I read I could go with a tapered drill and reamer (a bit expensive), step drill the hole and buy just a reamer, or fabricate a D-reamer.

I appreciate the help you guys have given me and other novices. I have also found the resources for the rebuild manual, new compound and cross-side nuts, and oil to be very helpful.

Maybe I'll have a working lathe by the end of the year!

Easy enough to replace the shaft with a bit of .75 TGP, even when your lathe is down. Step drill and ream using a spiral flute reamer. Run slightly heavier oil in the scored bearing, and forget about it. If it later gets bad enough to remind you, you can bore it at that time.

allan

Back