What's new
What's new

9"A large dial cross feed nut question?

Zeusizme

Plastic
Pardon my ignorance but I can't seem to find anything on the net about what cross feed nut to use on a large dial. My compound and cross feed nuts both need replaced and they are both large dial. Will the regular cross feed nuts work? Or do I need a special nut because of the large dials? Someone in the past has monkeyed with the cross feed nut since it isn't the same style that a 9" takes, plus a bushing was installed in the cross slide and threaded for a 3/8" bolt that threads directly into the bronze cross feed nut. I plan on removing the bushing and replacing what I need to to correct it, but what parts are in the cross feed nut? Anyone have some pictures they can share? Thanks

They both use the same nut as the small dial version(s).
Do you have a taper attachement?
There are two different cross feed nuts, one if you have a taper and one if you don't.
The one for the taper is missing the bronze tube that runs up into the cross slide since it is meant to be held by a screw so you can release it to use the taper attachment.

There is a guy here on PM who makes new bronze nuts and goes by jayhawkman.
Josh

No my lathe doesn't have a tapper attachment but I know what the two correct nuts look like for both the regular and tapper. What fits into the side of the regular nut? Is it some sort of locking pin?

There should be a steel pin with a beveled end in the side hole (beveled end inside the nut), and a set screw with a conical tip in the top.
The set screw bears on the bevel of the pin and pushes it out against the side of the hole in the cross slide.
This locks the nut in place.

Josh

I understand now. I will need to make the pin and set screw. Someone pressed a threaded bushing into the slide on mine. I'll go ahead and order the cross feed and compound nuts.

Back