What's new
What's new

9" SB Refurbish

gnead

Plastic
I am kinda new here, been lurking for a while not really posting, finally have something to post about so here goes, I bought this SB 9" in NY, I have had it for about 6 months and not had time to touch it,
about a month ago I started on it and got most of the machine done as well as the drive unit.
I needed to build the bench, last week I built it, painted it and started the final assembly.
I have a little more work to do but so far I am very happy with the results. I know some people will not like the color but I really do not like dark machines, so I went with a light gray. One of the things I have a question about is the machine has 1" risers on the head and tailstock as well as under the compound making it a 10" swing. Anyone seen this before?

Gene Nead

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
View attachment 64482

Yes- a set of those blocks sold on ebay about 2 months ago, raises the machine up to 11.25 inch swing, IIRC. I like the light color.

allan

I love the light grey, I bought another 9" from a board member here. I was thinking of painting it light grey, now I'm definitely gonna do it. You did a great job on that thing!!!!

That bench is awesome, would love to see some better pics of it.
Awe heck, how much would you charge to build another one? Seriously!!

I love the light grey, I bought another 9" from a board member here. I was thinking of painting it light grey, now I'm definitely gonna do it. You did a great job on that thing!!!!

That bench is awesome, would love to see some better pics of it.
Awe heck, how much would you charge to build another one? Seriously!!

Thank you for the kind words, unfortunately one bench was hard enough to find time to build.

G

Gnead That is a awesome workbench. Can you give me the overall dimensions of it please?
Do you have a material list?
Mind if I copy your design & build my own?
Thanks

Gnead That is a awesome workbench. Can you give me the overall dimensions of it please?
Do you have a material list?
Mind if I copy your design & build my own?
Thanks

My bench is 30.5 x 58 it is 2 x 2 x.125 steel tubing the legs are .125 x 1.75 round tubing I built 6 legs with adjustable leveling pads and the frame on top is notched so that the so that the tubing is the radius in the corners. I did this so when it was paneled with the 18 ga. on the sides and back it would all come out smooth.
Drawers are 16 gage steel and the top is 14 ga. The underside of the top has 1 x 1 tube as well as 1/2 places where the lathe and motor mounts are. I truly never drrew it out or anything just kind of winged it and figured it out as I went. Here is a picture of it upside down if that helps
image.jpg

How about a close up of the crossfeed handle/dial/bushing?

I will take it apart and take a couple of pictures, have to still machine the dial anyway, also made a new larger hand crank for the crossfeed that looks original out of 304 stainless steel I get some photos of that as well.

Gene

How about a close up of the crossfeed handle/dial/bushing?

Finally had time to get a few pictures, I used a sealed roller bearing to make this, it's just a common size 1.375 OD and .625 ID, I wanted less friction on the shaft so the housing has clearense, the dial has a boss on it and the bearing is recessed into the housing. Hope this helps. I also wanted a bigger crank handle so made one 1" bigger out of 304 stainless and put the one off the crosslide on the compound. I made an extra crosslide handle if anyone is interested in it pm me. Backlash is .002

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Did you media blast the dial and housing to get the satin finish? Also, wondering what method you'll use to do the engraving on the dial?

Very Very nice. The lathe looks great, and looks even better on top of the bench you built. A machine's color is what you want it to be - I've seen lathes painted everything from white to dark red to gloss black.

And your bench is A#1 - you couldn't get a nicer bench that the one you built.

Did you media blast the dial and housing to get the satin finish? Also, wondering what method you'll use to do the engraving on the dial?

Glass beaded the dial, have not had a chance to engrave the dial yet, but just going to CNC w/ 4th axis and do the graduations and numbers all at the same time.

Back