What's new
What's new

9" South Bend Lathe from 1944 with an Odd Serial Number

Maui

Plastic
I recently purchased a 9" South Bend Lathe (see attached). On the ways where the serial number is located I found something unusual. The serial number appears as "DPC 96 OBER 151793". The number would indicate that the lather was manufactured in 1944 I believe. I don't have a clue what the DPC 96 OBER is supposed to signify. I contacted South Bend directly and they said they didn't have any idea what it meant either. I'm hoping somebody here might be able to enlighten me. Since this was a lathe manufactured during WWII, is it an indication that it was used for defense purposes?

Maui

Attachments

• Art 20171219_183802.jpg
    Art 20171219_183802.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Art 20171219_183844.jpg
    Art 20171219_183844.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 261
DPC always refers to Defense Plant Corporation

I would suppose OBER refers to some related installation in Oberlin, OH

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The person I bought it from in Syracuse said that his dad purchased it from GE. As far as I know there is not an Oberlin NY, but there is an Oberlin Ohio.

"I contacted South Bend directly and they said they didn't have any idea what it meant either."

You actually talked to the South Bend desk at Grizzly. No one there that ever worked at South Bend when they were American made. They don't have much to tell you or to sell you about your lathe other than the order sheet which they will separate $ 25.00 from you for.

Much more parts on ebay. Much more knowledge on this and other forums.

I just discovered that there was an Ober Manufacturing Company that built lathes starting in the late 1800s and through the war years. Is it possible that South Bend didn't have the capacity to fill all of their orders during the war and farmed out some of the manufacturing to Ober as a result?

I just discovered that there was an Ober Manufacturing Company that built lathes starting in the late 1800s and through the war years. Is it possible that South Bend didn't have the capacity to fill all of their orders during the war and farmed out some of the manufacturing to Ober as a result?

Interesting but unlikely that any major manufacturer would allow a sub contractor's name to appear on the product

Its plainly DPC "PLANCOR" 96 and the OBER is location related

Here is an amazing doc with just a partial listing of the over 2500 PLANCORS - a brief look thru here will open one's eyes to the amazing efforts by the US to outproduce everyone on the planet during WW2

click on full view here

Catalog Record: Advance listing of industrial plants and... | Hathi Trust Digital Library

I looked for PLANCOR 96 in Ohio, not found

The listing is alphabetical by state and then again by company name - with of course the PLANCOR numbers random

Maui,

I can't help you with your serial number research but I must say that your lathe has some very nice patina. I hope you have no plans to clean and pain but just wipe it down , replace felts, make repairs and run it.

Vlad

The tajlstock(man,I hate spell check) bottom is interesting, it appears to be flared out?
As if it were intended to have wipers installed, but never done..

I would add them since it's begging for it.:)

Not 100% sure of your 96 number, but I have a DPC data tag on one of my 16's. As already noted DPC, Defense Plant Corp. If you notice the bottom right "GOOD BAY". That stand for Goodyear the company in Baytown, TX. The stamped "193 A" I have no clue, but guess some filing number for DPC. Pic of DPC data tag and serial card:

151.jpg156.jpg

I would like to install wipers and new felts for the oilers. Where can I purchase these? I know the felt for the oilers is supposed to be a special type, but have no idea where to find it.

I may never know exactly what the ID numbers mean on this lathe, but thank you for the help in educating me. I do know that the lathe was purchased from a local GE plant in Syracuse, NY.

Maui

what is going on with the apron? There is no star knob...is it just missing or?? Do you have any power feeds?

BTW- this is an exceptional value, and Mr. Brooks is incredibly helpful...I bet if you aked he would even toss in a couple extra wipers and a bit of material so you could do your tailstock.

South Bend Lathe 9" Model A ● Full Rebuild Package ● Manual, Felts, Oil, Grease! | eBay

And I bet if you asked here so one would send you a couple of the retainers for the felts off a scrap saddle, and the flat way retainers would be easy to make yourself.

The longtitudinal power feed works well. I couldn't figure out how to engage the cross feed. Maybe this lathe doesn't have one?

Captioned thumbnail

Feed - either long or cross - is engaged by clutch knob. Why we do not see yours is a mystery

Three position lever selects which feed - or neutral in center - the position for threading

Half nut lever for threading - only

Related info pdf page 9

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_1of2.pdf

The million dollar question-
Are you actually using the power long feed or the halfnuts?

Both will move the carriage.

Attachments

• Apron controls SB .jpg
    Apron controls SB .jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 123
Here’s a close-up view. The apron clutch assembly is apparently missing. Looks like I can find one on Epray for about $50. And no, I don’t know why the photos posted upside down. They don’t appear that way on my iPad.

Maui

Attachments

• FBB8950E-AC5A-4C91-9A61-AAD0FEB73B11.jpg
    FBB8950E-AC5A-4C91-9A61-AAD0FEB73B11.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 106
  • AE2C3B21-0B4B-46E4-A2F7-5C81F634DEBD.jpg
    AE2C3B21-0B4B-46E4-A2F7-5C81F634DEBD.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 86
You are possibly missing more than that.

Better get the apron off there first before you buy anything...might end up best to buy a whole apron.

Back