What's new
What's new

9" south bend lathe for mobile workshop trailer

jesusgatos

Plastic
Hello. Turning an old military trailer into a mobile workshop. Not much to it, these trailers were designed to be used as a mobile workshop. Having some 16g sheetmetal formed to cover the butcherblock countertops, and as soon as I get those installed I can start bolting down tools and making stuff.

fa03909d9834bcad283764bbb9c3545c.jpg

7b6eb189cd48de43cf5abb9f2e01a128.jpg

Purchased an old South Bend 9" lathe and it came with a motor mount that isn't going to work for me. Would prefer a benchtop-mounted countershaft and motor mount. More compact = better. Saw a few different options on ebay, wanted to ask what I ought to look for, and/or avoid. Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions.

0bb17276b04c02c85854806adea00e05.jpg

c0812338d4fedf2137059ea4e52a2838.jpg

Excellent project!! Lots of challenges.

I'll jump out and say that you can drive a machine any, any, way that will fit what you have and the space
available. Don't feel limited by what SB made originally. As long as you have the necessary different speeds
to the headstock you're good. You can use flat belts, V belts, chain drives, variable speed magic, or whatever.

Some creativity with the existing parts plus stuff from the 'invention' pile will get you what you need. Don't be afraid
to experiment.

Good luck!

Pete

Hi Pete. Have got the complete setup with the countershaft and pulleys and a wall mount, and have a small mill that I could use to make a new mount but looks like the pivoting benchtop mount is pretty close to ideal and for <$150 I'd rather get things together right now. Wondering if there are any important differences between those types of mounts?

Not functionally. Each was designed to do the same job in a different package. If you make sure your pulleys all
line up and the bearings are good, that equipment can be arranged any way that it takes to suit your space.
The one gotcha with any of this is to assure that proper belt tension can be maintained while operating and that
the belt tension can be released enough to allow easy speed changes.

Pete

Back