What's new
What's new

9" South Bend spindle....is it toast??

angryyank

Plastic
Hey All,

I just picked up this old South Bend, I believe its a 405. I pulled the spindle out for inspection and this is what I found. Is there any way to repair this? Should I even try? Maybe just replace the head stock and spindle. I was hoping I could press in a brass sleve and turn down the spindle slightly. What do you Guys think. I am a big time rookie.

WayneIMAG0732.jpgIMAG0733.jpg

It does not look that bad.
There is a lot of support there in the undamaged areas.
The general consensus in a number of threads like this is *very* carefully stone off any burrs and then just use it.
Make sure that you put in new wicks and use proper oil.

Trying to put in a bushing and turning down the spindle would definitely yield much worse results then running it as is.

Josh

I have seen much worse. I agree with josh knock off the burrs put it back together and use it. It will be accurate and it will run just fine. Dont let your imgination get ahold of you. I have machines in my shop that are horribly scored and I use them everyday and they work just fine. Some people just cant stand to own something that is not perfect it drives them nuts they dwell on it and it consumes all their thoughts. It is just an old lathe you bought it to use not to turn into a shrine of precision. I have had some amazing lathes in my shop but my favorite is a beat down W&S turret lathe. It makes me more money than the prom queens I used to worship.

After some of the ones I've had, I would think you were gloating about that one. You won't even need a mill file, you lucky dog.

That one must have been garage kept, I don't see any areas where it was rusted to the bushing.

Just think of the small scored areas as storage for oil so the good spots never starve.

Ben

jkopel; Trying to put in a bushing and turning down the spindle would definitely yield much worse results then running it as is. Josh[/QUOTE said:
Oh it can be done here is my 405. Bronze... not brass

But I agree this spindle is not that bad. clean it up and use it. DO NOT use sand paper or emery cloth..... use crocus cloth, it has lapping compound not a course abrasive

ED S

Attachments

• Copy of bearing 2.JPG
    Copy of bearing 2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 693
What problem? Looks just fine. Scoring is commonplace with these spindles because of debris, that doesn't mean it's bad. Clean it, no abrasive, maybe scotch-btite, new wicks and fresh oil and it'll be fine.

Steve

The sooner you put that spindle back together the better off you will be, if you keep looking at it you will convince yourself to try and fix it and it don't need fixing. Besides if it's laying on the bench something is going to happen and then you will have to fix it. Everyone seems to be wanting used machines to look and run like new. I'd rather run a machine that has a few hours on it, not as stiff to handle and fewer surprises. :codger:

Hone the bore and have the spinlde hard chrome and ground This type work in done ever day and auto shops in most towns. They do a great job and low cost.

Dave

Hey All,

I just picked up this old South Bend, I believe its a 405. I pulled the spindle out for inspection and this is what I found. Is there any way to repair this? Should I even try? Maybe just replace the head stock and spindle. I was hoping I could press in a brass sleve and turn down the spindle slightly. What do you Guys think. I am a big time rookie.

WayneView attachment 60446View attachment 60447

Wow....do I ever feel better. Yes it was owned by an old man down the street for 50+ years. Not a spot of rust on it. I will post pics later.

Thanks

Just try to get any adhered lumps of cast iron off the spindle using a fine file, not an abrasive. Don't worry about the rest.

allan

Back