What's new
What's new

9" vs 10K collet closer

mark thomas

Titanium
Can anyone explain the exact difference between the 9" collet closers and the 10K collet closers? I know the difference in the collets, and therefore there's a difference in the closer tube (to accomodate the different collet thread for 3c and 6k collets), but I wonder if the parts are otherwise the same. Especially, can I take a 9" handlever collet closer and use it on my 10K if I make a new tube?

Hi There,

I believe it is possible to "convert" a 9 inch lever style collet closer to work on a 10K but it isn't as straight forward as one might think. The two type vary in more that just the draw tube. The 10K has a larger inside spindle diameter (55/64" vs. 49/64") and the tube is larger in diameter than its 9 inch counterpart. Therefore, all parts that fit on the tube are different.

Now, you can either make a draw tube that is stepped down at the rear; or you can bore out the parts to the larger tube diameter. I would do the former because I am not sure that the latter can be done effectively. Either way, you may have to bore out the clutch sleeve in order to fit the larger spindle but I'm not sure on this point.

You may wish to trade yours for the proper 10K version; if you can find someone with the opposite problem.

I hope this information helps. Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Webb,

Thanks. That's very helpful. I knew the tube was a different diameter, but you answered the key question about how the tube is accomodated. It sounds like it's not worth it.

Btw- I don't actually have a closer (yet). I can pick a new-old-stock handwheel type for $300, or a 9" level type for $250, and I wondered if I could convert the latter. The most sensible thing is probably to get a 5C collet closer (Bison, etc.) for about the same amount of money (and a lot less for collets) but I'm sort of stuck on the idea of outfitting a complete SBL original.

Mark

Hi There,

Is the NOS hand wheel type for $300 a complete set-up including adapter, spindle protecter and collets? How many collets come with it?

Just curious.
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Hi There,

WOW! That is pricey. If that had included a good set of collets, then it would have been a different matter. Keep looking around. Check out eBay. Something will turn up.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Back