What's new
What's new

9A cleanup and restoration

chet0213

Plastic
I decided to move forward with my 9A lathe cleanup and wanted to see how it would clean up and look painted. I bought a oil based paint and primer from sherwin Williams in a specified color that I had found on one of the forums. I degreased the part and stripped with aircraft stripper down to bare metal. The process was very simple. Once it was stripped it cleaned and dried then did one thin coat of primer and 2 coats of the paint with time for drying. It self leveled well and is a high gloss. I am seeing a faint line of the white primer so I may take that and have it tinted grey. This lathe will barely see any metal turning as I mainly turn acrylics and resins. It turned out really well and I may take a component at a time and do the same thing. I will be putting a 1hp 3 phase motor and VFD on this lathe as I want variable speed. Any suggestions on that is welcome. I found a Teco Drive and a Leeson motor at surplus equipment for a good price but have not pulled the trigger as I want to get some advice.
3BC20A3F-21B5-49EE-A234-1B006DC3168E.jpg

Back