What's new
What's new

9A Countershaft Mod

bogster

Plastic
I dismantled the countershaft on my 1962 9A recently to fit a new endless serpentine belt. It was difficult to get apart because the burr caused by the set screw on the locking collar. Even though I cleaned up the shaft when I eventually got it apart, I decided to ask a friend with a milling machine to mill a small flat on the shaft to allow the set screw to seat properly and prevent the same happening again.

South Bend in their wisdom machined an indent on the shaft for the cone pulley set screw so why didn't they do the same for the locking collar?

I reassembled the drive assembly again today and it went together like a dream.

IMAG0469.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

Regards,

Bruce

Coincidentially, I am in the process of reassembling my 9A and among the repairs made was to replace the countershaft bushings and make a new countershaft. Lacking the equipment to cut a keyway in the large two step pulley I carefully drilled an azial hole on the seam between the pulley and the shaft and inserted a 1/4" pin to augment the set screw I added in the old taper pin location. The pulley is retained axially by a BHCS and washer.
Having had the same disassembly problem as Bruce, but not having the sweet milling setup, I filed a flat where the collar setscrew lands. It has become apparent today thay my v-belt is too short, so the countershaft will come apart again tomorrow. :-(
Lou B

Back