What's new
What's new

9A Help with compound slide removal

lsneon

Aluminum
So far I have the compound off the cross slide. Now when I use the compound handle and
try to unscrew the slide, it feels like the acme threads "bottom out" near the end. I'm afraid
that someone flattened the end of the shaft against the end of the slide. Thought
I'd ask for help before using more force and stronger profanity. I know that the nut on the
acme is brass and didn't want to damage it by forcing mushroomed threads thru it...
Any ideas/suggestions?
While I'm asking, wonder why the bushing collar on the compound slide is larger than
the one on the cross slide????
The second question is just curiosity, the first I really need help with.

Thanks
Bob

Nope, force and profanity are not your friends.

Unscrew the bushing from the compound and back out the acme screw. Then back off the setscrew that fixes the compound nut in place. Then reach in with a finger (you might need a flat blade screw driver to get started) and push the compound nut out the bottom of the compound base. Slide the two halves apart. The compound is a bit different than the crossfeed - you can't just crank the handle and remove the slide.

About the relative bushing sizes - can you post a picture?

Paul

Graphic4.jpg

I failed to notice when I made my spanner (thank you Paula) that the cross feed bushing
reduced .10 from the dial to where the hole for the spanner is
B -> A
If I had made my spanner for the compound bushing ( C ) it would have probably worked
on the smaller diameter with just a little slop. As it is I get to make another spanner.....

Second mistake was assuming the compound tractored off just like the cross feed.
What was I thinking???
Note. the distortion on the spanner hole is the first indication I've found that anyone has
ever had anything on this lathe apart. All the bolts, nuts, screw heads, taper pins, etc have
appeared pristine. I've read a lot of accounts of the problems folks have encountered getting
their lathes apart and so far (knock wood) this one has been a dream. Especially since this one
has spent the last 70 odd years on the Tx gulf coast.
Thanks Paul, Paula, etc
Bob

Not owning a spanner, I inserted the smooth end of a drill bit in the bushing hole and tapped on it with a hammer very close to where it entered. You may have to lightly clamp the compound in a vise in order to get things moving. Or wrap a piece of leather around the bushing and use some pliers.

On my 1960 9a, both bushings measure the same, at 1.034" diameter.

Paul

Back