What's new
What's new

9A Morse tapers

jhmiii

Plastic
I have seen multiple posts indicating the Morse taper in a South Bend 9A spindle is MT3 and the tailstock is MT2. I have copies of old (not sure of year) South Bend publications stating the spindle and tailstock are both MT2. I have a 1954 9A without headstock or tailstock centers and need to purchase them. How do I determine whether my spindle and tailstock are MT2 or MT3?

I appreciate any and all advice. Still learning.

John

Attachments

• SB specs.jpg
    SB specs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 688
Thanks, johnoder. I don't believe there is a tapered bushing in my spindle based on 0.938 ID for the spindle. Appreciate your quick help.

John

Is it actually a MT3, or is it the bore size of an MT3 with the taper of an MT2? I know they did that sort of thing with some of the larger lathes.

I have the same question. The larger dead center fits my spindle and the smaller one fits my tailstock. They are both supposed to be MT2 according to some SB literature. Are they the same?

IMG_4338.jpg

The headstock of a SB 9 and 10K Takes either an MT3 dead center, Or an MT2 with an MT3 to MT2 taper adapter. This taper adapter is thinner than the normal adapter. Allowing the point of the center to be a little shorter so the Lathe dog can reach the drive plate. It also allows a little more distance between centers. Your Lathe takes a MT2 Center only when the adapter is used. The other components Are made to use with this shorter taper and adapter. If the headstock directly took an MT2 taper, It would not have a large enough through hole in the spindle to do any good.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Back