What's new
What's new

9in. Umd 4 vbelt pulley needed

MNeafus

Plastic
I'm looking for the vbelt pulley that goes on The underdrive of a 9in. Model A UMD model. This has a different part number than the horizontal 9in. Lathe.

I was unaware that the underneath drive ever came with a V-belt, Since they require the spliced belt. You would have to use a link belt. If you're trying to Convert a flat belt to a V-belt, be aware that there may be some differences in the headstock casting that may interfere with the pulley.

good luck in finding one, they are rare even on the horizontal drives.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I have link belt clearance problems with my 9A horizontal drive on the step closest to the front bearing.

100_9084.jpg

The smaller steps are OK, the big one not so much. (It is getting better with more use, the link tabs are laying down better...)

John

I'm looking for the vbelt pulley that goes on The underdrive of a 9in. Model A UMD model. This has a different part number than the horizontal 9in. Lathe.

I believe he is referring to the V belt from the motor that drives the large pulley to drive the flat belt pulleys in the undermount. I will check mine when I get home and let you know what length / size it is.
-Eric

It should be a 5L400 belt, preferably oil and heat resistant.
-Eric

No, I'm looking for the 4step vbelt pulley that was offered by SB as a upgrade for the 9in. UMD. If you look in the catalog specs you will see the horizontal Vbelt model has lower speeds than the Vbelt UMD 9in. So my search is even harder to find. I believe the 10k has the same part numbers as the 9in. UMD.

If you want different speeds than your belt drive can supply just get a VFD. Select a groove close to what you want and vary the speed electronically. A few hours with a chunk of aluminum and you can make the sheave you need but a VFD is a far better option. Many posts on here with brand names and successes members had with a VFD.

Note that the three fastest countershaft speeds cannot be used in back gear on the 16 speed v-belt 9's (horizontal or UMD). See HTRAL for the speed charts. Still have the speed chart to make for my 9" lathe. My 13" SB came with one:

100_8505.jpg

John

Back