What's new
What's new

Home-brew milling attachment

jwallweyfoundry

Aluminum
Well I stole this idea from an older HSM but thought would share for anyone who might have not seen or thought of this.
SANY0637.jpg

SANY0636.jpg

All this to mill a the T-nut for my new quick change tool post. If anyone has done something like this and has a better idea let me know this was the best i could come up with from what i have. I will try and keep everyone up to date as the milling progresses. now i need to have some hold downs for the work 7/16 if I remember correct. That is the next hurdle.

I just think thats too much leverage on compound and you are gonna have bad vibes, bits breaking. I have both palmgreen and SB milling att, and they are hard to work with due to to much leverage on compound, but have had success though awfully dangerous, as in bits exploding. Corse I have a BP now so haven't tried milling on lathe, hope you the best. tommie

Well I plan to try aluminum first to see how it works before I even think of steel. Will have to see and as long as I am patient and feed rate is slow we should be ok I hope. I will let you know, and thanks for the tip to be carefull. I can add the cheep harbor frite vise instead of the pamlgreen and use the crossslide but will see.

IM000611.jpg
Here is a photo (I Hope) of how I turn the nuts in a lathe. No need to mill them. Gary P. Hansen
IM000608.jpg

Here is how I cut them down to size. I scribe a line to cut to and can see the line while the lathe is turning, that makes it easy. I take off .005" with each pass

IM000178.jpg

If you still want to mill the nut here is a photo of a tool makers vice I mounted in a Phase II quick change tool post. It is much more solid than the the store bought milling attachment I use to have. Gary P. Hansen

Back