What's new
What's new

Acme threaded rod , good and bad?

Ronniet

Aluminum
A while back I bought a stick of Acme threaded rod to rebuild my cross slide and nut.
I ordered the 1018 general purpose rod.
I opened it yesterday to cut a piece and turn it and its pretty crummy.
Its a 1/2" x 10tpi left hand.
Is bad enough that it will cut your fingers with the whiskers and burrs.
I tried working a piece I cut to length, lightly with a stone and a cratex bar but its just bad.
My question is , if I were to bite the bullet on the alloy or 4140 rod am I going to get the same crap.
Is thise stuff die turned or what?
I dont have a die to clean it with and some of the burrs are down in the grooves that hang up my old nut even.
Anyone have any good lathe turned pieces. Or at least a de-burred straight piece?
Ron

I made my own, for my 9A. Had to get an ACME pitch gage..a nice Brown&Sharpe off ebay for $12, ground my own bit, had the steel. So just spent $12 and some time and had fun too!

I'm about to go through this on a larger, more complex screw. One doesn't really need a x-slide screw to cut a thread, an indicator and stop will work, even locking the slide and manipulating the compound will suffice.

Here was/is my tentative plan-

1) Make a new x-slide nut
2) Pull old screw/nut from slide.
3) Adjust slides, cross and compound, to prepare for threading new shaft.
4) Setup indicator to display 0 on the X, and use the slide lock to hold it in place during threading.
5) Make a pass.

To make subsequent passes, either adjust the compound to move the carriage back or unlock the x-slide and then reposition. Use the new nut as your thread gauge.

Back