What's new
What's new

adding zero stop on crossfeed ?

Mark D

Aluminum
My buddy has a delta rockwell lathe with zero stop . very handy for threading . Can one be made to fit South bend heavy 10 ? If could you show some pics or tell me how you did it? thx! Mark

that is a great idea , but the delta rockwells is a small spring loaded pin mounted on the inside of cross feed dial that you pull out to set it and it stops back on zero when you return it after backing it off. thx! Mark

... the delta rockwells is a small spring loaded pin mounted on the inside of cross feed dial that you pull out to set it and it stops back on zero when you return it after backing it off. thx! Mark

Next time you're at your buddy's, get some pictures for us - I'd like to see how they implemented that.

Paul

Just getting back to this - thanks for posting that, Chad, very interesting scheme. I've looked at it for some time now, and I still can't decipher all of it. I can see how those three "clutch" type rings allow more than one revolution of adjustment, but I'm not sure how to get exactly two out of it. And the method of locking the dial is interesting as well - is that the same principle as a cone clutch?

Lipstick on a pig...

A pencil line (tool resting on surface to be threaded, crossfeed dial zeroed) on crosslide and saddle is even faster.. If you need to spin crossfeed handle out 12 revolutions, to clear a shoulder... no problem.

When getting tool back in position... line is almost lined up.... look at crossfeed dial, slow down.. and stop at zero... Take next cut, using compound for feed... like normal..

Learn to fully use what you have, before thinking gizmos are needed.

Even the simple factory SB crossfeed stop, works perfectly.. It just is not gizmo-ish enough for some...

Back