What's new
What's new

Advice on 10R Single Tumbler Gear Box Rebuild

jth877

Plastic
First post!

I bought a 1945 vintage 10R lathe for gunsmithing and general hobby use. Came with a full set of collets, 2 face plates and for some reason 6 chucks. Took it apart to bring it home as per recommendations on this site. Wasn't too bad, but that big cast pedestal base is a bear. :ack2:

I noticed a lot of play in the brass/bronze bushing on the left side of the gear box. Upon taking it apart it seems the shafts are worn ~25mils while the bushings are hardly worn at all. I suspect an oil starvation issue as all the other bearings and surfaces are pretty tight. As I see it my options are to sleeve the shaft and turn down the OD or get replacement shafts. Since my lathe is in pieces I can't rightly turn them down myself. Are the shafts easy to come by and about what price do they bring? If it's like $20 a shaft, I might as well just buy replacements.

as far as I know you'll have a tough time finding a replacement shaft unless you buy an entire gearbox. And in that case, the shaft may end up having the same problem. Your best bet is definitely to sleeve it. You can do the work necessary without a gearbox on the lathe.

Back