What's new
What's new

Advise to Sell a 9 in. South Bend Model A Lathe

BarStock

Plastic
Please bear with me, I lack the expertise that is evident in the members of this forum. I am posting because my Uncle is downsizing his wood shop. He has a 9" South Bend Model A lathe that he didn't use very much and wants to sell. He does not know its value or how to go about selling it. I said I would help him. Can anyone give me suggestions on the features that are important regarding the machine and how best to sell it? TIA

as noted look at ebay but look at sold listings - quick perusal shows about $500-$2000 plus range actual sales.
With a lathe condition and tooling will be key - if he has lots of tooling all in good condition can go to the high end of that range, if clapped out ridge on ways, missing stuff no tooling the low end or even less is all it may bring.

There is decent demand for the 9A lathes - they are small enough that they can be easily moved into limited quarters, coupled with single phase motors and lots of people want them. Frequently they go for more $ than more capable equipment because of the small size and friendliness to the hobbyist.

Look in the south bend lathes sub group (looks like your post was already moved to the sub group)- and do a search there lots of info. Also lots of info on the yahoo south bend list.

As far as selling it - ebay if you want to deal with shipping requests etc, otherwise craigs list can be helpful for a local ad. If you contribute a bit on the board here, there can be the option of listing it on the machinery for sale section. Trying to sell stuff on your first few posts is frowned upon.

Paul

Thanks for the tips. My uncle is really a wood worker. He does beautiful work, furniture mostly. He is well known and has done some pieces for Mario Lemieux. He has a broad knowledge of wood tools but the metal lathe is out of his domain. Bought it years ago and never used it much.

I will probably post the lathe on craigslist for him. If I take pictures and post them, will someone be able to evaluate the condition?

The thing about selling a lathe is shipping. That makes it a regional sale, not a national one. So Craigslist may be a better forum than E-Bay.

Also, be sure to collect the funds before the pick-up.

Post a picture of it (actually a bunch from different angles and a closeup of the bed near the chuck), and let us know the serial number stamped on the right front of the bed, and what model number is (stamped on a plate on the gearbox on the left front, or on a plate on the cover on the left side).

That will go a long way to narrow down if it is a $500 lathe or a $1,500 lathe.

Also, take pictures of all the stuff around it that looks like it belongs to it, because that stuff can be worth as much or more than the lathe.

Easiest thing to do is put it on my driveway in front of the left garage door. :-)

Steve

Howdy,
Your post caught my eye. I'm new on here, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a bit non-mainstream SB since I have a Model A 9 jr that I really like, but I live near Pittsburgh (I assume you do, too, since you mentioned Mario), and I watch SB sales, looking for parts mostly. Sometimes I may buy a clapped out 9N lathe just to get something off it, and then sell the rest, so I can tell you an idea of prices around here.

A 9A with a small amount of tooling just sold down in the panhandle of WV this weekend for $525. It lasted on CL about an hour, I reckon. A decent looking 9C has been sitting in Ohio for months below $500. When you get around Akron or Buffalo, SBs are everywhere, it seems, and that keeps the price low. As you get down toward Frederick, MD, you start to see prices go up. Near DC, I see 9As listed well above $2000. I don't know if they sell or not.

But, I'd estimate an average 9A with some wear, a 3 jaw chuck, a lantern post, and a dead center, and nothing much else to be worth around $650 in Pittsburgh. Anything extra, inluding way condition, adds on. If you list, try listing east of here; I'd think nothing of driving 200 miles to get a taper attachment for mine, and I think a lot of folks are just like that.

Howdy,
Your post caught my eye. I'm new on here, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a bit non-mainstream SB since I have a Model A 9 jr that I really like, but I live near Pittsburgh (I assume you do, too, since you mentioned Mario), and I watch SB sales, looking for parts mostly. Sometimes I may buy a clapped out 9N lathe just to get something off it, and then sell the rest, so I can tell you an idea of prices around here.

A 9A with a small amount of tooling just sold down in the panhandle of WV this weekend for $525. It lasted on CL about an hour, I reckon. A decent looking 9C has been sitting in Ohio for months below $500. When you get around Akron or Buffalo, SBs are everywhere, it seems, and that keeps the price low. As you get down toward Frederick, MD, you start to see prices go up. Near DC, I see 9As listed well above $2000. I don't know if they sell or not.

But, I'd estimate an average 9A with some wear, a 3 jaw chuck, a lantern post, and a dead center, and nothing much else to be worth around $650 in Pittsburgh. Anything extra, inluding way condition, adds on. If you list, try listing east of here; I'd think nothing of driving 200 miles to get a taper attachment for mine, and I think a lot of folks are just like that.

I promise those 2k 9a's around here don't sell :). I had a fully decked out 9a, collet set, taper, milling, etc. and ended up getting $1800 for it. There have been one or two listed in the $3k range and it has been there as long as I can remember

Thanks everyone for the replies. I took some pictures. They are posted below. I took some pictures of the accessories also. They include an extra chuck, tools and the HOW TO RUN A LATHE booklet, that was originally published in 1906. This is the 55 edition.

I included a photo of the plate. The catalog number is 644Y. The bed length is 3. I didn't get the serial number yet.

The lathe is on Gross Street in Bloomfield, which is part of Pittsburgh.

IMG_1619-sm.jpgIMG_1610-sm.jpgIMG_1667-sm.jpgIMG_1668-sm.jpgIMG_1675-sm.jpg

The serial number is just to the right of where the lamp clamps to the bed.

There's probably more stuff there - the accessories shown include a collet sleeve,
the pin wrench to remove the spindle thread protector nut when collets are used,
and collet rack clamped to the rear bed ways.

Look around more and find the collets that are tucked away in a box somewhere.
They'll add considerably to the price of the machine.

I can't see the way condition, but the things that I see that add value are a micrometer stop, a 4 jaw chuck, a collet rack, a 2 step pulley on the countershaft, a drawbar, and a drill chuck. As noted earlier, look for those collets, and there might be another set of chuck jaws.

Take a clear photo of the lathe ways ("bed") up near the chuck with the carriage moved back toward the tailstock a little. From what can be seen, it almost appears there is little to no wear on the ways. If that is true the whole way forward up under the chuck, it makes a big difference in value.

One chuck, the micrometer carriage stop, and the spindle nose jacobs chuck are each worth aprox $100 +/- $25 depending on where you sell them. The lathe is a bit short for top $$$ but the way condition will tell the tale. You probably have a $1,000 there in most markets. Some will go much higher for a pristine bed, & as noted some markets will pay much more overall as well.

Also, most of us prefer 3ph motors, they are smoother and instant reverse. However, an integrated, especially factory, single phase set up usually brings more money and sells faster on the hobby market.

smt

The frosting is still on the ways at the right edge of the saddle. Move the saddle/apron to the right end of the bed and take a pic of the ways just in front of the chuck (12 inches). That will show us the condition (looks like they might be in good shape). Condition of the ways is most important, providing the lathe is in working condition. Since you're asking for help here, offer the lathe for sale here first.With nice ways and the tooling you have, it's a $1000 lathe in my area of Pa.
Hopefully someone who needs it will buy it and not some shyster looking to cannibalize it for profit.Good luck. PB

Last edited:
The frosting is still on the ways at the right edge of the saddle.
There's frosting, but I wonder if it's "the" frosting. Although it could just be the picture, the pattern just doesn't look like what I'm used to seeing, the strokes seem a bit short. And the flaking on the cross slide upper, where the compound base sits - I don't think I've ever seen flaking there, correct me if I'm wrong. Mostly academic though, won't hurt the resale value of the lathe.

Paul

I took pictures of the ways. I also took a picture of what I think is a collet.

The previous picture of the items with the manual are all I have found so far.

I could not find the serial number. The number on the plate (which I think is the model) is 644Y.

My Uncle would be happy to sell the lathe to someone in Pittsburgh on this forum. I am not sure how to do that though. Do you just need his phone number? Anyone is invited to come and look at the lathe to determine its condition and value.

Thanks to all how have responded and are helping me with this.

IMG_1679.jpgIMG_1680.jpgIMG_1681.jpg

BarStock,
That thing with the hand wheel on the top right of the lathe is the tailstock. Loosen
the nut in the recessed area and slide the whole contraption to the left. The serial
number is under that on the rail closest to you. May need a brass brush to clean it
enough to read. I would love to see it go to someone on this forum as the ways look
nearly new and should go to someone who values these machines. Planing a vacation to
S. Texas anytime soon?
Bob

Blimey! That looks like frosting all the way down, and I think I don't see any big chuck nicks That does raise the value, a lot for some people, not so much for others, so it's hard to put a $ figure on it. I might guess an extra $100, but that's just a guess. My thought is you do have a nice lathe and should get a good price. If you need help finding the serial number, or identifying accessories, I could drop by tomorrow around noon. I don't know the rules on here about personal contact, so I'd have to check that. As I said in my first post, I'm not really interested in a 9A, but I can at least tell you the names (sometimes garbled by a senior moment) of the stuff you have, can find the SN and show you how to date the machine.

I would say, start a new thread here on the forum with a title something like: "FS - South Bend 9A in Pittsburgh". Include the pictures and a phone number (spell out some of the numbers to defeat web crawlers).

Other than the color of the paint, I don't see any real detractors. I would think a $1000 asking price might be a good place to start.

Paul

Those ways are what most on here dream of finding.
About as good as it gets.
Too bad about the color and short bed, but it should find a buyer who wants to buy a lathe that really only appears to need cleaned up, not rebuilt. A lot of people feel better about doing a paint job when they get a lathe anyway. Unlike most, yours does not appear to need much more

smt

Back