What's new
What's new

Age and Size of Lathe

Larry Condon

Aluminum
Hello
After reading all the information that I have found regarding the age and type of Southbend Precision Lathe
Model A
Catalog # CL8187 AB
Bed 4
SN 6673 RKL 13
I still have some questions.

I have determined that this lathe was the 6,673rd lathe built. Is a 10" designated by the letter R.

Has Quick change gear, friction feed apron, underneath motor drive. Designated by the letter K.

Has a large spindle hole and standard swing. Designated by the letter L.

The number 13 designates the model number of modifications.

This lathe is equipped with a taper attachment and 5C Collet lever closer. 2-1/2"-8 spindle nose.
I still can't figure out approximately what year it was manufactured and if it is a Light 10 or a Heavy 10. I have seen liturature talking about 10". 10L and 10K. Is there 3 different models

When looking for a steady rest what casting number should I be looking for?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Slowfolk

Catalog # CL8187 AB
Bed 4
SN 6673 RKL 13

This is the heavy ten, by the catalog number at toolroom bench lathe (with a taper attachment) and a 4ft bed. By the serial number it was built around 1954. You could call Leblond and get all the info on your lathe, and you could buy a parts manual from them or get a copy off the web for the parts you need. This is the most popular and sought after of the South Bend models, and if it is in good condition, brings the best price.

I know this is an old thread but I have used it many times to identify SB lathes.
However I have one with numbers I cannot identify.
Seriel number, 23016R
CL number, SS 4233
Has a Federal Stock number, 3416 00 1864061
It reads 10" w/ 4 1/2 bed.
I want know if it is a tool room version.
Any help welcome,
Michael

Scroll down here to the late eighties XXXXXR . Seems to be 10L toolroom

SBL Serial Number File

I know this is an old thread but I have used it many times to identify SB lathes.
Seriel number, 23016R
CL number, SS 4233
Any help welcome,
Michael

Seriel number, 23016R
CL number, SS 4233
Any help welcome,
Michael
I can't tell from the serial number, but I do know the Gov't machines were built to tighter specs than a tool room lathe
Ted

Back