What's new
What's new

Angular DRO for SB 10 Heavy

jetpilot67

Plastic
Anyone know of an angular DRO for the compound on my SB 10 Heavy? It's so hard to see those little angular marks on the back of the compound, unless you guys have a better idea.

I would think most of the larger / better DRO companies make angle / rotary / incremental encoders. Heidenhain makes them and they are used in applications like rotary tables. I think the problem will be being able to afford and install them in such a confined space. Have you looked at the cheap digital protractors or may be just a magnifier? I've seen sine bars used to set the compound on really finicky set ups.

Andy

How about something like a cheap USB microscope (image from Google). You could also use it for fine detailed work and tool reference setup.

Attachments

• microscope.jpg
    microscope.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 209
How about something like a cheap USB microscope (image from Google). You could also use it for fine detailed work and tool reference setup.

That is a slick setup, thanks for the image. I wonder what that person is running.

To the OP, are you often adjusting your compound? I find I often leave mine set in one position. If need be you could clean and highlight the existing engravings with some contrasting white or yellow marks.

Marc

That is a slick setup, thanks for the image. I wonder what that person is running.

To the OP, are you often adjusting your compound? I find I often leave mine set in one position. If need be you could clean and highlight the existing engravings with some contrasting white or yellow marks.

Marc

Not sure about the camera / scope but if you are asking about the lathe the tail stock looks like a De Vallire sp?

Andy

Not sure about the camera / scope but if you are asking about the lathe the tail stock looks like a De Vallire sp?

Andy

I meant what jobs he might be running where he needed the microscope on the cut like that. I found the site the picture was from. Interesting stuff. It was a De Vallire lathe. I am often interested in the way others set up and solve problems. Threadjack over.

Marc

I need the compound angles for short tapers and cutting threads properly. I like the idea of a digital protractor. Thanks for the input!

The problem with installing a DRO on a lathe is that the cross feed scale gets in the way of the tailstock and the mounting of a travel rest. I do see value in the X axis or perhaps the TS quill, but I am not willing to give up the carriage space for the scales on any of my lathes. I cannot imagine any solution for the compound movement radially or otherwise that would not be grossly inconvenient. This is especially true with the little SB 10 lathes. There is neither space nor available mounting locations available.

I just use a mirror if I can't see what the pointer is at. Magnifying mirrors exist too if that does anything for you.

Mine also has markings on both sides too, so I can usually just look at the side of the compound towards the headstock and set it.

A DRO on the compound is nearly moot. Aside from it's spacial disadvantages, it does nothing to ensure tool alignment so you'll be needing to get out the indicator anyhow. From that point, a little trig will get your compound angle as precise as your patience will permit.

for accurate tapers there is no getting around some trial and error.
for threading there is a crap load of room for error...all that matters is you are not cutting stair steps.

I used ~27.5 degrees and made a mark on my cross slide to where 90 deg on the compound scale was parallel to the spindle..counted degrees from that point.

Reason being 27.5 works for both 60 and 55 degree threads.

Back