What's new
What's new

Another old one finds a home

Rodm1

Aluminum
Not sure where to post this, but having spent time in this forum, figured it may be fair game for lathe lovers in general.
Just acquired a 11" Delta / Rockwell from mid 50"s. Although i have my hands full with a 1928 Wide 9", the price and updates were too much to pass up.
Large graduated dials, graduated tailstock, Adjustable speed, 5c collets,
L-00 spindle, 1-3/8" spindle bore, ect. While the 1928 Southbernd is near and dear to my heart, this one couldn't be ignored for the price. I seem to have a penchant for rare birds, as info is seriously limited on this one. Any help on info is greatly appreciated.

Delta 2.jpg

Thanks guys. Uk.lathes has a 1 page article that is some to be desired for technical details. Vintage machinery had a sales flyer and a actual full catalog.
I could not find a forum. Saw different references to Yahoo group. The bulk of info is on woodworking lathes and equipment.
These lathes do seem extremely similar to early Clausings.

We've got the same lathe in storage (needs some work). It's been awhile since I've run it but It's a surprisingly well built machine tool. I think a lot of people hear "Delta" and think along the lines of "Craftsman". Their stuff (at least the old stuff) is good quality for wood and repair shop work, but their old metal lathes are on par with Southbend IMO. Lots of nice features and they built them to accurately last.

I have most of a manual for the the older Rockwell 11" in PDF. I try to send it, can you PM me an email? It will be later today before I can get to it.

Bob W

Your lathe looks like a twin to mine, save the collet rack. Mine is from 1956, and also has an Enco turret head, as well as a quick close collet system. She sat, neglected, for a while, so a lot of cleanup was (is) in order. I hope to have it up to chip-making order soon.

Back