What's new
What's new

Another SB value question

Birdly

Plastic
I have a lathe I bought a few years ago and I always thought it was a 9A but a quick check around with the serial number 7673KAR8 suggests I have a light 10 unless I misunderstood how to read it. Anyway I’m thinking of upgrading to a Delta 10 for sale in my area for ease of use - variable speed drive undermount and bigger bore -and I’m trying to get a guess of what mine might be worth.
It came with a lot of tooling I mostly don’t use. (Almost all I do with a lathe is make fasteners and leveling feet and occasional tooling for forging. I almost never turn between centers and I’m almost always within a couple inches of the headstock.)
It seems like I can’t upload pictures through the mobile site so I’ll have to add them later but it has three and four jaw chucks with a reversing set of jaws for the three jaw. I also have a faceplate and dogs, and a Jacobs rubberflex collet chuck. I have the lantern tool post with left, right, and straight holders plus the parting tool holder, knurls, and something like a fly cutter. There’s also a quick change tool holder and a boring bar setup plus a bunch of hss cutters and Morse taper bits. Overall condition is pretty good. Scraping is visible on most of the 3 1/2’ bed except near the headstock. All gears and feeds work as does the thread dial. I think there is some wear in the plain bearings at the headstock and/or in the cross slide because it definitely moves a fractional amount when advancing a tool into the work.
I’ll probably want to keep the Jacobs chuck, the cutter grinder, grinder jig and a few of the cutters but most of it is beyond my skills or needs and the chucks won’t work with the LO on the Delta.
The Delta comes with nothing but the three and four jaw chucks for $1600.
So my questions are, what’s a fair value for mine, and is the Delta an upgrade for my needs?
Thanks so much for your advice. Regards to all.

Keep the 10k.

at best the Delta/Rockwell 10" is a lateral move and good luck finding parts and accessories for it.

EDIT- you must be talking about an 11" D/R, now that IS an upgrade....the 10" did not have a L spindle- they were threaded.

I believe the 11" D/R is L00.

The 11" is definitely L-00.

The value of your lathe depends a lot of geographical location and what the used market is like. Around here I don't see many 10k lathes. A similar 9 would be worth $1,400-$1,650 with that tooling IN MY AREA. Go up north and it might be way less, go some places in the midwest and it might bring way more. A taper attachment adds value, you didn't mention that.

Welcome to PM.

pictures

First two images are of the Delta/Rockwell for sale. The ad doesn't say much but it does say 10" and LO spindle. I suspect that you're right and it is an 11" and LOO. In any case it is very much the same as one we had at a shop I used to work in and I expect it would be an improvement. Other pics are of my current machine.I'll attach a few more in another post. Thanks for looking.
IMG_2108.jpgIMG_2107.jpgIMG_2106.jpgIMG_2105.JPGIMG_2102.jpg

No taper attachment.
The 11" is definitely L-00.

The value of your lathe depends a lot of geographical location and what the used market is like. Around here I don't see many 10k lathes. A similar 9 would be worth $1,400-$1,650 with that tooling IN MY AREA. Go up north and it might be way less, go some places in the midwest and it might bring way more. A taper attachment adds value, you didn't mention that.

Welcome to PM.

Yes, that is an 11" D/R ...don't like that it's sitting outside so do check it carefully, very nice machines but parts can be precious$$$

The 10K looks good...in your area its likely a 1500-2000 dollar machine pretty easy.

Birdly.
I am in Fort Worth. Sold a few SB lathes and others in recent years I will be selling a 10k soon.
You will have no problem getting $1600 for your lathe. Cleaned with good photos of lathe and tooling can bring $2000. Mine will sell for quite a bit more due to tooling

good luck!

Back