What's new
What's new

Is anyone familiar with this 10L micrometer stop headstock mount?

itsmeBernie

Hot Rolled
image.jpg

I won't relax until it is home, but this is on a Heavy 10 I am taking home next week!!

I've never seen a mount like this one before- the mount to the headstock for the 1200 RT3 micrometer stop. I am pretty sure, looking at the serial number, that it is a very late '65 or early '66 machine. "RKX" in the serial number.

I am sure it will unclamp from there and be useful at different places along the bed?

Man, it is HARD to wait to pick up a machine!!!! ACK!!

Bernie

That bracket allows you to use the micrometer stop close to the headstock.

You can take the stop off the bracket and mount it anywhere on the bed as needed..

Post more pics when you get it home!

Steve

Wow nice job Bob

Is that welded and then machined?

By the way- are you the same Bob from yahoo 10K group? I remember years ago (if it is you) you sent me and many others some 4140 bolts.
I wish I had more of those! They machined beautifully!

Bernie

That piece can also be used on the 13.It is marked as a 10 0nly part,but I have one that came with my micrometer stop,and have positioned it on my 13 with the stop.It appears it would increase the range of the stop on the 13 as well.On the single tumbler machine it is necessary to take the tray off to get clearance.I cant comment on a double tumbler setup.I have not needed it so I have not drilled my bed for it and actually tried it.

Wow nice job Bob

Is that welded and then machined?

By the way- are you the same Bob from yahoo 10K group? I remember years ago (if it is you) you sent me and many others some 4140 bolts.
I wish I had more of those! They machined beautifully!

Bernie

Yup thats me. Its mig welded and ground. Sorry no more bolts i retired from that job and gave them all away...Bob

Yup thats me. Its mig welded and ground. Sorry no more bolts i retired from that job and gave them all away...Bob

Hey Bob,

If I wanted to ask around, what type of work did you do to have access to them? I think it is great when old things can get recycled and reused. Especially since so much steel just gets thrown away, unlike aluminum and brass etc.
But 4140 is such a worthwhile steel to save!

Bernie

Removed while installing, or removed permanently?

Can the bracket be trimmed down to clear it instead?

Steve

you need to remove the tray when you use the bracket. Look closely at the picture in the original post. Trimming the bracket ...?...not much meat before you hit the hloes(see Bob's picture.) trimming the tray...should work
Ted

Its actually the plunger of the stop that hits,at least on the 13.I was down there looking at that thing again today.The instructions are in the SBL workshop site.They pertain to the 13 and heavy 10.The heavy 9 is not far off.The stop its self is the same for the 13 and heavy 10.There are separate shoes for that stop for each lathe.Im not sure about the bracket,mine has an R on it for the heavy 10.It could be fitted to my single tumbler 13 easily.As ted says the tray must be removed when using the stop with the bracket.Maybe Ted knows whether there is a T bracket.

Its actually the plunger of the stop that hits,at least on the 13.I was down there looking at that thing again today.The instructions are in the SBL workshop site.They pertain to the 13 and heavy 10.The heavy 9 is not far off.The stop its self is the same for the 13 and heavy 10.There are separate shoes for that stop for each lathe.Im not sure about the bracket,mine has an R on it for the heavy 10.It could be fitted to my single tumbler 13 easily.As ted says the tray must be removed when using the stop with the bracket.Maybe Ted knows whether there is a T bracket.

The 13" uses the same bracket. They used to make a different bracket that heald the mic stop horizontal. I wonder if that would work better with the single tumbler...? :scratchchin: I have one somewhere...:)
Ted

Back