What's new
What's new

Anyone have experience with 0XA Quick Change Tool Posts for 9" Lathes?

Domodude17

Aluminum
Little Machine Shop has a quick change tool post set, 0XA. They state that its a good size for lathes up to 9" swing, and they specifically mention South Bend 9" lathes. Does anyone have any experience with these tool holders? Only thing is, i'm not sure if the cutoff tool holder has a relief slot milled in it for T-shape cutoff tools.

Quick Change Tool Post Set, XA, 4 Degree Cut-Off, Tormach 348

I just purchased the AXA size version of this (chinesium aloris wedge clone from ebay) for nearly the same price.... and seriously doubt you will want anything smaller than AXA size... I managed to find a kit with some oversize tool holders for up to 5/8" tools. The 1/4" stuff is tiny and still works with AXA just fine..

I think the linked holder is specifically sized for the small 7" mini lathes. You are going to want something more rigid...

This site has it a little bit cheaper,
http://www.cdcotools.com/

you have two problems with this size Tool post. as mentioned above rigidity. you want a good rigid set up.

Another problem, the availability of tool holders. The previously mentioned site does not show tool holders separately available.

However, the AXA holders are available from this site, And they are cheaper than the 0XA, holders from the other company.

I use a AXA wedge type tool post, on my 9A. it is very rigid and seems to be the right size for the machine. In my opinion, the smaller tool post would not be suitable.

stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I have a Chinese mini-lathe with that exact 0XA, I'd never consider it on my 9A with a Phase II.

Go with Phase II (wedge) in AXA.

On edit: the OXA that LMS carries- and LMS- are both fine (I get great service from LMS). It's just that the OXA is suited for 7" lathes and doesn't have the rigidity that you need to get all you can from the SB 9.

Last edited:

Back