What's new
What's new

Anyone interested in SB 11 HS taper blanks

Brodytonelotti

Aluminum
Well, I made a couple of taper blanks for the headstock of my south bend 11. I know that if you don’t have an original one you will probably never find one. So if there is enough interest and people that would like a couple I may make some more to sell. If I had some #2 and 3 Morse taper roughing and finishing reamers I could make the spindle adapters. If you have some kicking around in a drawer that you’re tired of looking at send me a PM. I made a long blank to make into a HS center and a short one to make into a taper adapter. Neither are hardened, I’ll post a picture in a little bit. So obviously if you would be interested comment below and let’s also see if we could figure out what price would make everybody happy.

9B9C293C-5464-4DDC-94F5-10E0C5A069B2.jpg
Here’s the picture. My spindle taper is the same as a #3 Morse taper but is larger in diameter. The large end of my spindle taper measures 1.02 with calipers.

FWIW- I will assume your adapet is for turning between centers....that being the case done worry about giving them internal tapers at all...you could simply bore and thread them for consumable "tips" that you true up in-situ..when it gets too short unscrew it and screw in a new one.

FWIW - I only have a catalog for '39 but it clearly states (for all 11" models of that year) the tapers, centers, head and tail spindles are #2 Morse.

SB11_31.jpg

I have the other pages for the different set ups available but the specs are all pretty much the same.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

FWIW - I only have a catalog for '39 but it clearly states (for all 11" models of that year) the tapers, centers, head and tail spindles are #2 Morse.

SB11_31.jpg

I have the other pages for the different set ups available but the specs are all pretty much the same.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

Just went out in the garage and checked my lathe. The #2 Morse taper is way to small for a 7/8" spindle hole. They must of had a adapter for the spindle.

SB11_31.jpg

Hope this helps,

-Ron
Thanks for the picture. They did use a #2 Morse taper in the HS but it went in an adapter. So if you don’t have the original taper adapter then you’re out of luck. If you look right above where it says that you can see where it says the through hole in the spindle is 7/8” which means the taper has to be larger than 7/8. You could toss a #2 Morse taper through there. That is where the adapter comes into play.

+1 to what Brody said. I have been looking for an adapter for my 11" for years now, I keep thinking that when I get the time I'll have to make one for the 2S collets.

-Ron

This will sound weird but 2S collets were also used by Sebastian...I have read that the spindle taper was 3.5MT and that DC Morrison could supply the collet adapter...supposedly 3.5 Morse is just a bigger MT3 like Brody suggests...if you have 2S collets then it might be worth a call.

+1 to what Brody said. I have been looking for an adapter for my 11" for years now, I keep thinking that when I get the time I'll have to make one for the 2S collets.

-Ron
I thought about making one and using those or #3 Morse Taper collets but I hate the idea of making the spindle hole even smaller with a drawbar. I really want to be able to use collets for up to 7/8 stock and let it run through my spindle so I started making a collet chuck that threads on the spindle and uses er32 collets which go up to 7/8 with a custom collet. Maybe not quite as accurate but it should be adequate for a 90 year old lathe. Now I just have to find some er32 collets.

I thought about making one and using those or #3 Morse Taper collets but I hate the idea of making the spindle hole even smaller with a drawbar. I really want to be able to use collets for up to 7/8 stock and let it run through my spindle so I started making a collet chuck that threads on the spindle and uses er32 collets which go up to 7/8 with a custom collet. Maybe not quite as accurate but it should be adequate for a 90 year old lathe. Now I just have to find some er32 collets.

I went with ER40. Flat backplate can be held in a 4-J. Then I added another with native D1-3. Might be easier to find an ER-40 for your spindle than an ER-32.

Did the same with flat and D1 5C.

That said, there are also spindle-mount Sjogrens in both 5C and 2J, and RubberFlex, none of which need drawtube space, either.

2CW

I went with ER40. Flat backplate can be held in a 4-J. Then I added another with native D1-3. Might be easier to find an ER-40 for your spindle than an ER-32.

Did the same with flat and D1 5C.

That said, there are also spindle-mount Sjogrens in both 5C and 2J, and RubberFlex, none of which need drawtube space, either.

2CW
I almost bought a 1J Sjogren with collets from lazz but I was worried about getting more 1J collets. And until I can open up a shop and actually start making money with this I have better things to spend my money on rather than a collet chuck that isn’t really necessary right now. But there is always time for another project... this one had been sitting on the shelf for a while.

I almost bought a 1J Sjogren with collets from lazz but I was worried about getting more 1J collets. And until I can open up a shop and actually start making money with this I have better things to spend my money on rather than a collet chuck that isn’t really necessary right now. But there is always time for another project... this one had been sitting on the shelf for a while.

"Opening a shop" sometimes just increases the rate at which one parts with money, so plan well on finding and sustaining an economically viable flow of work, not just the odd table-scrap.

Meanwhile...

Chinese ER 40, one from CDCO, a slightly nicer one from H&H Industrial is the cheap way. They need so very few collets, so I've got the masters and collet blocks for my lathes, both HS & TS, plus the mills, a DH, the bench, and even the big 5 MT drillpress (Cazeneuve is also 5 MT, both ends).

Not perfect, ER. Bit of a PITA to clean and torque properly, don't tolerate short slugs, (Meant for toolholding, not stockholding, in the beginning) etc.

But they sure do make a cheap, cheerful, and handy "universal last-resort" over all the faster to operate production-oriented collet systems. ER 20 covers finer work or space issues, and overlaps into ER 40 mid-range, clamping-wise.

This will sound weird but 2S collets were also used by Sebastian...I have read that the spindle taper was 3.5MT and that DC Morrison could supply the collet adapter...supposedly 3.5 Morse is just a bigger MT3 like Brody suggests...if you have 2S collets then it might be worth a call.

Thanks much! I'll have to look in to that.

-Ron

beat ya to it...they are pretty local to me and I have dealt with them before so I gave them a call...old Sebastian is 2 degree taper...weird but that's how they speced it.

I have to wonder...has anyone ever just called SB to see if they had one??

It's part 205 and I think would have been prefixed by the size of the lathe.

ie- pn# 11-205

beat ya to it...they are pretty local to me and I have dealt with them before so I gave them a call...old Sebastian is 2 degree taper...weird but that's how they speced it.

I have to wonder...has anyone ever just called SB to see if they had one??

It's part 205 and I think would have been prefixed by the size of the lathe.

ie- pn# 11-205
That stinks... I think MT3 is about 1.5 degrees. I never have called south bend about this. They didn’t seem very knowledgeable the last time I talked to them.

Back