What's new
What's new

NewB wondering if anyone has any "wick tricks"...

9Aguy

Plastic
Hi all,
New to "everything machinist" and trying to put a 9A back together after some cleaning. I am having some trouble installing new oiling felts in the QC gearbox. The felts in the kit I bought seem to be the recommended dimensions but they sit proud of the channels, particularly on the shafts. I cannot seem to get the felt to sit low enough to prevent bunching when I reinstall the gears.

I've tried running a razor blade along the shaft to reduce the profile but the cut pulls the felt up and otherwise "mushrooms" the top of the piece.
I had slightly better luck with the circular plugs but even that got "ugly" by having to use tools to jam the circular wicks into the recesses.

Looks like I'm going to buy some raw materials from MC but in the meantime, any of you restoration vets out there got any tricks up your sleeve?

Thanks in advance!

on mine( Steve Brooks kit) i just soaked them in their oil and kind of stretched them to fit - they worked perfectly.
a razor and a straightedge should trim them easily enough if needed. just trying to glide the razor over an installed wick likely won`t work well.

I have to admit that I have not used the "kit of wicks", ( I have my own stock of original felts) but I have seen the material he uses. I think it is larger and harder than the original.
I have the right stuff for sale, if you want to try it.
Where in Indiana are you?
Ted

Hi Ted,

I tried to send you a Private Message but your box is full. Can you create some space and drop me a line-I'm interested and live in Richmond.

Paul

I used the ebay kit to put my QC gearbox back together and ran into the same trouble.
On some I tried shaving them with a single edge razor, and that worked ok, but in the end I made a narrow little shim out of a cut down feeler gauge.
I slipped the shim into the bore, and then slid the shaft with the felt in under it and then pulled out the shim when the shaft was in place.
This worked great except in a couple of places where I really struggled to keep everything lined up.
I think it all went together correctly, but I sure as hell don't want to do it again anytime soon!

Josh

Ted, your felts gave me the same "issue" although, it isn't an issue. Those felts need to be snug enough to rub against the shafts in order to lubricate them.

I just pushed mine down "rolling pin" style with some other shaft and got them in quickly. However, I never had any difficulty fitting the shafts in. They make for a snug and tight gear box. It also cuts down on the noise too.

Keep trying, you'll get it in.

I have to admit that I have not used the "kit of wicks", ( I have my own stock of original felts) but I have seen the material he uses. I think it is larger and harder than the original.
I have the right stuff for sale, if you want to try it.
Where in Indiana are you?
Ted

Ted, your felts gave me the same "issue" although, it isn't an issue. Those felts need to be snug enough to rub against the shafts in order to lubricate them.

I just pushed mine down "rolling pin" style with some other shaft and got them in quickly. However, I never had any difficulty fitting the shafts in. They make for a snug and tight gear box. It also cuts down on the noise too.

Keep trying, you'll get it in.

I finished my Q/C gearbox and use Steve's wicks. They flatten when you oil them and press them in. I think he supplied an extra one that is thicker for certain lathes. Ensure you are using the correct one. His chart explains it all but I must admit it could have been a bit clearer (easier to read).

Having said that, I purchased the same felt material from Blue Chip

Felt Wiper Pad - Felt - Blue Chip Machine Shop - (Powered by CubeCart)

You can cut your own custom ones and it's nice to have backup. There's more than enough felt here for several lathe refurbs.

BTW, When I removed all the Q/C components, I noticed about half the wicks were missing and many of the ones that were in were just sludge and fell apart when removed.

The amazing this is that despite all of the wick problems, the gears were nicely lubricated (but filthy with swarf). So, just wondering out loud, how important it is for a wick to have a perfect fit. While wicks are important, I remain skeptical about getting everything 100% perfect. Just my thought. I'd be curious to hear what others think based on experience. Perhaps all the embedded swarf acted like wicks. LOL

Dave

I have done several 9,s and a few 10,s when I need a wick, I sharpen up the right piece of pipe and punch them out of an old felt pack boot! never had a problem with the fit or the proper oiling they work great. And the price is right

Back