What's new
What's new

Auction find, heavy 10, pictures and questions

SWIGIN

Cast Iron
My brother bought a SB lathe at an auction yesterday. It looks like a heavy 10 and mostly intact. The Door tag has not been stamped so I don't have a cat number but the serial number is 138037. According to Steve Wells site it falls on 1943 for age, but thats all I can tell.

Here are a few pictures I took of it still on his truck and was hoping someone might be able to tell me more about it.

k1fnn4.jpg

2nbal9i.jpg

2lo5b3o.jpg

Here is a shot of the best part, at least to me, it has a taper attachment that seems to be complete.
ojh3wn.jpg

Any info would be great!
Thanks

Likely sold as a "tool room" as it includes a taper attachment and at one time included a lever collet closer as indicated by the presence of the extended spindle drive gear. This machine also had the older star apron clutch upgraded to newer the lever style. It also has a large dial compound. Nice find.

It is definitely a 10'' lathe, kind of deceiving in the pictures.

I was wondering about that clutch lever, I thought it looked newer then the rest of the machine. I did not know the bit about the spindle gear sticking out of the left side meaning it could be a tool room lathe. I did google some 10L pictures and some stick out and some are flush or inboard a little.

Thanks for the info!

Yes, that gear has an internal key way cut that holds a little woodruff key that drives the lever collet closer. In the attached picture you see a catalog photo of a SBL lever closer that includes the gear slipped over draw tube. That gear replaces the stock gear which is only as wide at the gear teeth.

SBL Lever Collet Closer.jpg

One thing kinda cool is the toggle switch clutch on the crossfeed. While it was an option, most of the lathes have the star clutch.

Needs a great deal of TLC, but you know that already. :D

My brother was just looking to turn it quick so I called my buddies and my best friend/boss bought it. So at least I will have access to it. I'm sure either he or I will be asking more questions about it.

On the single tumbler gear box machines pay particular attention to the hi/low gear. Pull the gear cover off the left hand side and check to see if it has all its teeth. They're often missing teeth on the larger gear due to the savages that sometimes masquerade as machinists.

Back