What's new
What's new

back gears/resto costs

vendetta333

Plastic
plz dont flame for such a basic question, and mods i promise i wont makea habit of starting a billion threads on such elementry, but can some one either tell me which if any heavy 10's 70's-80's came with back gears? and if not tell at least which thread in the stickeys that has that info listed? thanx guys much appreciated. i have started a lathe fund for a purchase one year from the first of april of a belt driven heavy 10. but i want back gears, and am not comfortable doing my first lathe resto myself. so how much ballpark for should i be looking at for the machine, and resto? i am not looking for too much of a project, i'm looking for the most accutare h10 i can find (without collet, nothing againt them, i used the hell out of out collet lathe in trade school, just dont see the immediate need right now. now i will be purchasing a new 4 jaw for said purchase, i digress) so i am going to look for something in the best shape possible! thanx in advance for all info!

Go into your profile and put in your location (it seems to need it in two places now). That way, we can provide you with better help with your search (we may see a lathe in your area, but out of ours, so as to give you a heads-up).

All cone head SBs have back gears. If you are on a budget, forget the resto, and definitely forget paying someone else to do it. Buy the best one you can afford, clean it, replace the felts in the headstock and use it. A resto will easily double the cost.

allan

Here's a nice and pretty heavy 10 that might fit your bill from craigslist up in Vurgeeny. A bit pricy, but if everything is there and in good shape, it might be worth the price.

Last edited:
Since you are not ready to buy yet, recommend posting what you want to do, what features are important to you and your target price range.

There may be other/better suited machines or at least equal ones to watch for.

Back