What's new
What's new

Back gears wont stay engaged?

Trux

Plastic
Hi guys, I got a 16" SBL and when I put it in back gear operation to thread or knurl the back gears kick out of gear.Any suggestions?(I just put the thing back together, as the cone was stuck on the spindle and back gear operation was impossible) is there some adjustment?
Thanks in advance for any help.(P.S. I am still looking for a tailstock, and a good compound for this machine any help would be appreciated) I once was told to talk to a cat named Joe at Plaza machinery, but I lost his number)

Hi, on my 9", 10L, and 13" SB lathes there adjustment screws on the back of the headstock underneath where the backgear dhaft goes. They are at each end and one controls the friction that holds the backgear from poping out. The other I think adjusts the amount of gear engagement. Look in the Yahoo SB lathe files for the description.
Walt

Hey thanks dude,I think I know which ones you are talking about.I just got it back together tonight, and it works fine now we knurled a piece of aluminum, and it did not kick out a single time!any ideas on the parts I need?Thanks for your help

Back