What's new
What's new

Heavy-10 Gear Box Inner-Bearing Binding Issue

bradjacob

Titanium
Guys - I'm reassembling my (wide range) gearbox and having an issue with the Christmas Tree shaft binding, once it locates on the inner bearing. I can turn it by hand, but it's too tight.

I've checked the shaft on V-blocks and it's perfectly straight. The shaft does spin freely when the bearing is out and its only using the outer bronze bushings.

I spoke to a friend and he said that it's most likely stresses that have relaxed. He suggested I use a c-Clamp and GENTLY apply some pressure, to tilt the boss to one side, by introducing some stress, for a few hours. Then, if that doesn't work, repeat in the opposite direction.

My question is - has anyone else experienced this? And if so, what did YOU do, to fix the problem?

Hey Brad,
If you pressed out the old bronze bearings did you mark them and re-install them in the same direction? If the original bronze bearings get flipped end for end, then the "wear-in" pattern will be reversed and any error in alignment will be 2X that of the original so it will feel tighter. Steve

Are the bronze bushings the original, or replacement? Just wondering if the three parts were not perfectly aligned originally, and align bored to correct it. I replaced that bearing in my WR gearbox but the bronze bushings I left alone. It all went back together fine.

The issue is the (center) bearing - it's a ball-bearing (the later models had these and mine is a wide-range box. So she's binding once all three journals are aligned. If I take the bearing out, the shaft spins free, so the outer bronze bearings are in alignment with one another. The middle casting must have moved due to stress relief.

Anyone else have this happen?

Brad, I have the same gearbox on my 10L. I had some stiffness in the same cluster but I found it was more an issue of tooth to tooth contact, some of the gears had slight burrs and/or wear patterns. I had them in and out a couple of times between needle filing. I did not change the bushings or the bearing. Jim

Back