What's new
What's new

Ball Oilers?

Domodude17

Aluminum
I know some people have added ball oilers to their lathes in the past, and it's something i'm thinking about doing while I have the lathe apart for cleaning. I have a 1943 9A, for reference. Can someone let me know where the locations to put ball oilers would be? wasn't it mostly the random holes in things that you're supposed to put oil into? I also thought I have heard about people drilling holes in the carriage or something to add some oilers to it as well. Thanks!

I added 4 ball oilers to the compound on my 9" South bend about 12 years ago, all 4 corners, I also added a cup oiler in the top hole of the Tailstock, a ball oiler to the back of the tailstock in the screw oil hole and added a ball oiler to the lead screw support. I can't tell you exactly where I added them but I think I can find a picture if you will PM me an email addy.

MyPictures0004.jpgOilGrooves1.jpg

I understand the theory behind the ball oilers but in practice I don't like to use them. My heavy 10 have has a pair of ball oilers on the carriage and I find that it's a nuisance to have to wipe the dirt off them before poking the oil can snout in there to apply the oil. It's virtually impossible to get all the dirt wiped away because there's always a little rim of it right around the ring where the ball seals against the housing. Why would I want to wash dirt down the oil hole? I think I can do a better, cleaner job by wiping the ways with a clean rag and applying a film of clean oil directly.

Back