What's new
What's new

barrel switch heavy 10

shearspeed

Aluminum
I had my heavy 10 hooked up to a VFD and it would only go foward operating through the VFD. I wanted to hook it up to the barrel switch so I can use reverse. Help me out here, do all three wires go on the same side of the barrel? The way I see it the switch has cross over wiring on the barrel fo the forward position and the reverse wire looks to be on the same side. It worked before now it doesn't, I had a rep for tb wood walk me through it changing the codes. Do I have it wired correctly or not? porbably not explaining it right.

Thanks
Dan

I may not be following you correctly but there should be nothing between the VFD and motor. Maybe you are referring to using the vfd low voltage terminals to the switch - that can be done and I have done it on a couple of machines. You would need to determine which LV terminals control direction and then wire a common for the LV input to the switch and a wire back to the forward/reverse terminals and then program the vfd.

Rick

Some of the details of wiring for "forward" and "reverse" using a VFD will depend on the brand and model of the VFD. Your owners' manual for the VFD will show you how to hook up a switch for forward and reverse running. Typically you only need three wired between the controller and your reversing switch. Your old reversing switch will most likely work for this application although the current requirements for the control of the VFD are very small. DO NOT hook the reversing switch into the hot leads between the VFD output and the motor. You'll ruin the VFD in short order.

Also, most VFD's require setting changes to be able to select forward and reverse. Usually one or two parameters need to be changed. Again, the manual for the VFD will tell you how to set that. If you don't have the manual, you'll need to get one because without it, you're flying blind.

I may not be following you correctly but there should be nothing between the VFD and motor. Maybe you are referring to using the vfd low voltage terminals to the switch - that can be done and I have done it on a couple of machines. You would need to determine which LV terminals control direction and then wire a common for the LV input to the switch and a wire back to the forward/reverse terminals and then program the vfd.

Rick

As Rick pointed out, VFDs do not tolerate motor loads cutting in and out. This can cause severe damage to the VFD.

Joe

Thanks for the comments guy's, I think I've touched on all the recomendations. I'll take a picture later and post = 1,000 words.

Dan

Hi Dan, I was wondering where you bought your VFD, the folks over at Wolf Automation have a good tech guy who talked me through wiring my first one. they may help you even if you didn't buy it there. The guy I talked to was Steve Griber here's the no. 1-800-873-8326. I have no affiliation with this company, they just had the best prices I could find and are really good folks to deal with.

Second that opinion on Wolf Automation. I've bought several VFD's from them and they are a standup company with excellent technical support. Their newsletter is a lot of fun too!

If your drum switch is on the line side of the drive,the drive will maintain the same rotation,unless its an antique.If the switch is on the load side of the drive there could be problems with open circuiting the drive.(smoke)You would have to power down the whole thing and throw the drum switch with no voltage.When you powered up the motor would run the other way.Some Allen Bradley drives can be open circuited without problems.If your using a drive,it probably can be reversed by its own control circuits.No drum switch involved (except as a disconnect).Make sure you program enough decel and accel time to avoid unscrewing the chuck.The forward reverse switch would be a pushbutton or selector switch.A so called pilot devise.

I contacted Wolf Automation and had a great conversation with Steve whom seemed very knowledgeable but referred me to TB Woods people. After a second go through with the same tech. person all is well and I have reverse as well as forward. The lathe does ramp up and down slowly, i did that early on.
Thanks for the support

Dan

Back