What's new
What's new

Belt for SB 16" x 8

Submachine

Aluminum
I have an old SB16 x 8 with the three spindles and back gear, versus the 4 spindle model. The leather belt broke.

I don't know if the belt was the correct size. It was over 2 inches wide and measured about 68 inches long.

What is the correct belt size and a good place to buy?

Is there some reason you don't think that belt was the correct size?

Per my post in the 9a thread I would not recommend the belt from the Validus Group on ebay. McMaster-Carr has flat belts of various sizes and also the connectors.

Steve

Don't use the old belt, you never know if it was correct and belts stretch. Reset the belt tension to just sort of completely loose and then you measure around the pulleys. This will give you plenty of room to tension the belt and still have a little play if your measurement is off and you're a bit short.

Two good sources of leather belts below. Plenty of other synthetic alternatives out there also.

John Knox
Custom Leather Drive Belts-Single-ply (11/64''), up to 4'' wide

Al Bino
Expertise

I could never seem to get it completely on the spindle. That is why I thought might be too small or too wide. I was hoping a standard size replacement was available or some advice as to what the original belt length and width were.

Width would be standard, believe the 3 step cone 16" is a 3" belt. The length depends somewhat on the alignment and any shimming of the under drive unit in the base which is why its best to measure it.

You want to have it in the belt engaged position.

Here's the instructions from the "How to Run a Lathe" booklet.

"When measuring for belt length the belt tension device should be adjusted so the cone pulleys are moved toward each other as far as possible. Determine the exact belt length by carefully measuring around the cone pulleys with a steel tape and then subtract 3/8". This will give the belt tension enough to drive the lathe without any further adjustment."

Personally, I wouldn't adjust the pulleys "as far as possible" in case the belt is cut a little short so I still have some adjustment.

Steve

Thanks for the info.. I am going to make a test one out of old belts in my closet that seem to be too small for me now :)

If they work to get me through the weekend I will be happy. In any case, I won't be upset if the break.

http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/paula_stephens/beltsize.pdf

I recommend John Knox too,his standard clipped belts are great.

You will see that 68.25" is called for in the link, however I would call John and order it at 67.75"... It will stretch quite a bit in the first few hours of use, John actually offers a shortening of his belts to account for it but IME you can save him and yourself the trouble by ordering it a bit short to begin with.

YMMV :)

Ps- yes, it's a very good idea to verify the length by measuring it yourself.

Last edited:
I have a stupid question about the operation of the tension handle. ( by the way I need on if anyone has one)

It has three positions
Up - loose
Middle - is this the running position?
Down - tight.. Or is this the running position?

http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/paula_stephens/beltsize.pdf

I recommend John Knox too,his standard clipped belts are great.

You will see that 61.25" is called for in the link, however I would call John and order it at 59.75"... It will stretch quite a bit in the first few hours of use, John actually offers a shortening of his belts to account for it but IME you can save him and yourself the trouble by ordering it a bit short to begin with.

YMMV :)

Ps- yes, it's a very good idea to verify the length by measuring it yourself.

68 1/4" per the chart:smoking:

Submachine:
I think I have a belt for that machine(one of the good kind that SBL sold). I may also have a tension handle.
Send me an email if you are interested.
Ted
[email protected]

Back