What's new
What's new

Belt Tensioner - Help Required

bogster

Plastic
The turnbuckle, horizontal tension rods and cotter pin were missing from my 9A that I recently bought. I want to fabricate a new set but can't find a decent picture of the parts other than the old parts catalogs. Also, I'm not entirely certain how the cotter pin connects to the rod so can anyone provide me with a reference to a decent picture/drawing? Rough dimensions of the rods would also be useful but I can probably work that out for myself.

Regards,

Bruce, UK

Yes, it's a horizontal drive model. I found that patent as well but the drawings are not that much help.

Yes, I'm aware that one side of the turnbuckle is a LH thread. However, does it matter which end the the LH and RH threaded rods go?

Regards,

Bruce, UK

Are you trying to do a "museum quality" restore or are you trying to get a tensioner that works. If the former, than the eBay purchase is probably the way to go. If the latter, then you can make something functional with some 3/8" rod and and a "long" attaching nut or barrel. A true turnbuckle would be nice to be sure but not everyone can make left and right hand threads. I made one for my 9" South Bend by bending 90 degree bends on each of two pieces of 3/8" rod. You can find or make a long nut with right hand threads on each end to connect the two pieces of rod together. (You can make the barrel on your lathe by using a stick to tension the belt while you machine and thread the barrel. Close the shades so nobody sees you using a stick for belt tensioning!) While you cannot adjust the tension with the thing installed as you would with a true turnbuckle, you can pull the 90 degree bend out of the headstock or the countershaft bracket and make length adjustments by turning one of the rods until you get the tension you want. Because of South Bend's clever pulley sizing, the tension will be approximately correct for any of the pulley steps that you pick.

I've since "improved" my setup by making a clevis to thread onto the end of a longer 3/8" rod and the clevis attaches to the countershaft bracket with a pin and hairpin clip. To adjust tension, I just pull the hairpin clip and pin out, turn the clevis as desired, and put the pin and hairpin clip back in place. I don't think I've touched the adjustment since I made the "improved" version. The newer version did, though, have to wait until I got my vertical mill so that I could mill the clearance slot in the clevis.

No rocket science is involved. You just want the drive belt tensioned!

Thanks for those ebay links Paul, I didn't think to search for completed listings! :)

vandis,

Useful information and I might use that as a prototype to get the lengths right before I shell out for a LH tap and die and make an "official" version.

Thanks for all your help guys, I should be able to make it from here.

Regards,

Bruce, UK

Mine uses 3/8-16 threads. The LH tap is available off the shelf, $6.57 USD, at Enco. The rods can be threaded on the lathe.

I have a similar question. I already made a turn buckle for my underdrive lathe. I know the underdrive is different. I really need to know the length of the underdrive turnbuckle. I fear my is too long and is causing the belt to rub.

For reference... I used a piece of hex stock and a "Left-Hand Threaded Solid Rod Ends" from mcmaster. I had to buy a left hand 3/8" die to shorten the rod end.

Thank you.. I'm guessing that is only the nut? It makes much more sense than the 5" long hex bar plus each rod end. I read somewhere the belt should be 40" or so. Mine is much too long. The split V belt is spliced with a "flex V" belt fasterner. It should be easy to shorten.

I just bought a turnbuckle at Home Depot or Tractor Supply , (not sure which) I made a new RH rod and the LH was made from the hook that came with it.

Back