What's new
What's new

Bench Grinder fixture wanted

Pete Wass

Aluminum
Hi all,

I have seen some place a small fixture with a top that tilts for resting items such as lathe tools one might wish to fashion. I have done a couple of searches but have yet to turn up anything. Can someone help me with a brabd name of a good fixture please?

Sldo, can someone recommend a good small belt sander with a disk sander built in as well ? I looked at a couple in the Harbor Freight store but thought them too chinzy for longevity.

Thanks, Pete

i saw a tool bit grinding jig somewhere,but i cant find it right now.it would tilt and had a fence apparatus and scribe marks for various degrees for different cutting angles.

I made this for using w/ my carbide grinder. The protractor I just used one of those protracters w/ a stick that you see all over the place.

395-protractor-i-made-my-carbide-grinder.jpg

Then their is the bit grinding set sold by south bend years ago. This looks like a re-creation of that design:

South Bend Lathe tool / cutter bit grinding block! | eBay

There are basically two commercial rests I know of: the Veritas Grinding Jig sold by Lee Valley Tool and the Grind-R-Table sold by GRS Tools. The latter is more useful for lathe tools as the height is not altered by the relief adjustment. Then again, it is also about twice the price.

The Grind-R-table IS nice

There are basically two commercial rests I know of: the Veritas Grinding Jig sold by Lee Valley Tool and the Grind-R-Table sold by GRS Tools. The latter is more useful for lathe tools as the height is not altered by the relief adjustment. Then again, it is also about twice the price.

but I only want to gring lathe tools now and again. Perhaps I would be better to find someone who would grind a few up for me and then I could touch them up on a belt sander.

Is there someone out there who I cold hire to do this for me? What I would be looking for are the four or five basic type HS tools as shown in the "how to run a Lathe" book. Does someone sell a set allready ground? I have a link for the company that sells HS insert tools but thought them to be a bit Pricey for my simple needs.

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks everyone

what I am looking for is some simple table like the one pictured for under $100. I don't expect it to be of the quality pictured.

ALso, I want to have 1/2" tools ground. I have a Tool Post and tools smaller than that don't give me much space between the post and work in a lot of situations. I have bought some blanks at a surplus tool place so all I need to do now is grind them or have them ground. I would prefer the latter.

I have a Sears Bench Grinder and what I hoped to find was a tool rest that I could tilt, for it; just something simple. I saw some bench grinders @ Lowes the other day that have such a tilting tool rest on them but hate to buy a new grinder just for the adjustable rest. I can't justify something costing over $200 for the few tools I would grind.

You would be better served to take the existing tool rests off and just freehand grind your bits. It's not rocket science and it can be fun. If I can do it...anyone can.

Harold Hall

Looks like an interesting project.

Pete

Pete

I would recommend Harold Halls books to any novice machinist. He has that rare ability to explain stuff clearly . His books are aimed at the hobby person. Many text books are written for industry , but they dont get it .

Mike

I have just built the simpler of Harold Halls grinding rests - just bear in mind that it is designed for a wheel centre height of 170mm approx 6 3/4" so most grinders will need to sit on a raising block or change the dimensions of the main pillar. The rest was straight forward to make even for a novice like me.

For freehand grinding here is a link to a YouTube video that I found helpful

TOOL BIT GRINDING #1 South Bend Atlas Lathe tubalcain - YouTube

Tony

AAAAH, that old Buggy Whip Maker :)

I have watched many of the Videos Tubalcain has there on Youtube. I have watched the tool grinding series two, mebby three times. Sort of why I am looking into an adjustable tool rest. I find him to be just delightful to watch :).

Thank You Tubalcain, if you ever lurk here.

Pete

P.S.

Is there a tool holder available that fits into the tool post holders that allows one to use smallish cutting tools? I have a bunch of 1/4 and 3/8 cutting tools that are languishing.

Last edited:

Back